Archinect
anchor

Internship in Australia

epperj

I'm a student from switzerland (3rd year now) and somehow I'm interested in doing an internship in Australia (anything between 6 month and a year). It is mandatory at my school to have a 12 months work experience to get the masters degree (is it the same everywhere?), so I thought spending some time abroad could be a good idea.
I did a quick research on the internet on some information about internships in Australia, but it was kind of hard to find anything at all. So I was wondering about working conditions for interns, about the salary, what sort of work an intern usually does, which cities could be recomended, which australian architects..?...or maybe first of all: is it common to do internships at all?:)
I suppose it should be about the same as in europe/usa, just would like to hear something about it, and be sure before I take any further steps...
any info is appreciated:) thanks.

Mar 24, 08 11:17 am
n_

Scroll down to the bottom of the discussion page and you will find a SEARCH box. Type in Australia in the box and you'll find some links to past threads that discuss this. I hope that helps.

Mar 24, 08 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
epperj

thanks, that helped.. found some practice's websites, and some general info about working conditions
but i was hoping to get something more internship related..

Mar 24, 08 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

OMG, i'm seeing double!!!!

Mar 24, 08 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
epperj

right, sorry about that..didnt check carefully enough

Mar 24, 08 6:20 pm  · 
 · 

when i was in australia (now 7 years ago, mind) internships were not required and not often done. i actually did work at offices throughout my studies and was earning basically the same as when i finished.
there is the term architect graduate that applies to someone who have finished there masters but not sat the exams to be registered.
imo, if you went to oz you would be probably able to pick up a job earning near to the salary of an architectural graduate.

maybe someone has more current advice though.

Jul 23, 08 10:10 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: