Archinect
anchor

International Architecture

Brooklynite

I'm still a student but this is about a job. How does one get into doing business internationally? I would really like to do this, working in different cities around the world. I speak several languages, but I didnt know if anything else would help?

Mar 20, 08 10:24 pm
walldrug

If you are still a student and want a short term (3-12 months) internship you should look into IAESTE. It's an organization that helps students in 'technical' fields (architecture, engineering, science-based fields, etc.) find jobs in foreign countries. They field a list of firms from all over the world and try to match them with students who also come from all over the world. The money isn't lucrative, but the experience is invaluable. IAESTE and the host firm usually take care of all the necessary paperwork. You just have to apply, pick your preferred countries, then later rank potential firms, and finally hope for the best.

I applied in 2001 and was able to get a great internship with a firm in the Netherlands. The firms are likely not going to be name-brand firms but give you the opportunity to see a new place and experience the design profession from a different culture. I ended up at a great firm, enjoyed it immensely, and ended up getting another internship to Turkey through this experience. Oh, and I also met my wife at the firm.

An alternative to IAESTE is to find multi-national firms (usually larger companies) with offices in places you would like to go. A lot of firms are opening additional branches all over Asia and the Middle East. I have a number of friends who have found interesting jobs in Europe, Asia, and Australia.

Mar 21, 08 4:27 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

so walldrug you stuck in South Dakota?

Mar 21, 08 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

so walldrug you stuck in South Dakota?

Mar 21, 08 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
walldrug

Nope,..only visited. But how can you beat a free cup of water!

Mar 22, 08 10:55 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: