Archinect
anchor

GSAPP Expenses... worth it?

JC3000

I have been accepted into the 4 year GSAPP dual program, M.Arch and Urban Planning. I am terrified about taking on so much debt. Anyone out there currently in the program (or better yet, recent grad) who cares to discuss actual costs, loans, TA opportunities, and especially whether their degrees put them in a nice salaried position to pay them off within a reasonable amount of time (20 years?). Is doing the dual program really worth it? Should I drop the UP?

I got about a 25% scholarship this year, but that still leaves a huge gap for government and private loans...

Thanks everyone.

Mar 20, 08 11:05 am
smithwillb

columbia is expensive. really really expensive. private loans are scary. but is columbia really worth it?! i'm trying to decide that too.

Mar 20, 08 11:10 am  · 
 · 
montu

How do you invision the course of your professional lives?
Where do you see youreselves upon graduation?
5 years after.

Mar 20, 08 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
JC3000

Columbia was the only school I seriously considered and that was due to their labs and think tanks, their emphasis on research and technology, not to mention the dual program and the opportunity to study in New York. To be honest, I didn't think I would get in, but I had been hoping I would for years. Now that I did I am freaked out.

I am more interested in the academia, research/writing and theoretical aspect of architecture rather then the nuts and bolts CAD drawing - but I love design. I am also interested in the political and social issues surrounding planning.

I know it sounds like a real grab bag of interests and ideas, and it is. I am going into the program with an open mind, hoping it will guide my interests and future rather then my current (limited) ideas and knowledge.

Mar 20, 08 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
Brooklynite

Excuse me JC3000, may we know some about you? I want to apply to Columbia for dual arch and up. I'd like to know what are the students like that have been accepted.

Mar 20, 08 10:38 pm  · 
 · 
JC3000

I have been working as a graphic designer since undergrad (2002) and for the past 2 years I have been working on my application. Taking prerequisites, studying for GREs, making contacts, writing essays, and working on a million projects.

My website is a mess but I am rebuilding it, http://studioagency.org/

Mar 21, 08 11:53 am  · 
 · 
mab

i hope there are some responses here cuz i am in the same boat...i am excited about getting in, but dont know if its worth the expense?

Mar 28, 08 5:52 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: