Archinect
anchor

Labs Redux

John Cline

I'm currently involved in some research for a new project. I am looking for examples (precedents) of lab type buildings. I'm specifically looking for how each example organizes the program, ie labs, offices and common space and their relationships.

I've started with some historical examples:

Kahn's Salk Institute
Kahn's Richardson Med Res Lab in Philadelphia
Philip Johnson's Kline Biology Tower at Yale
IM Pei's Earth Sciences Tower at MIT
Hoffman Labratory at Harvard by Gropius

and moved into some more contemporary examples:

Max Planck Institue for Chemical Ecology Jena, Germany
Max Planck Institue for Evolutionary Antropology Leipzig, Germany
Center for Biotechnology and Bioengineering in Pittsburg by BCJ
Barcelona Botanical INst by Ferrater
Max Bergmann Cre of Biomaterials by Brenner & Partner
Computer Science and Electrical Engineering Inst, Graz Uni by Riegler Riewe Architekten
Pharmacological research building by sauerbruch hutton architekten in Germany
Southwest Bio-Tech Intermediate Test Base by Atelier Feichang Jianzhu in Chongquing, China

The goals is to find several projects (around 6). A mix of prgram oranization would be nice. Also if anyone has any experience with organizing a program such as this, I welcome insight. Thanks in advance.

Mar 18, 08 11:30 am
brian buchalski

my memory is a little fuzzy on the details but you might find the university of michigan's biomedical science research building by polshek partnership helpful. as i recall there was a very clear parti with offices on one part of the building and laboratories in another.

mostly, i remember running by this building at 5am on the mornings i was training for a marathon and seeing how cool the glass wall looked on those days with some fog

Mar 18, 08 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
John Cline

The most helpful tools I've found are plans and brief descriptions of how the spaces are organized. For example, the Salk can be easily understood (in diagram) by looking at the plan and knowing what functions go into each space.

Mar 18, 08 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
John Cline

Thanks puddles!

Mar 18, 08 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

check out the biodesign institute at arizona state university.

look at how the different lab spaces are organized, i.e. the lab work space, cleanup space, storage, mechanical chases, etc.

Mar 18, 08 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
John Cline

Anyone by chance have a typical floor plan of the Center for Clinical Science Research at Stanford, by Norman Foster? It doesn't have to be a high res file...

Mar 21, 08 8:18 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: