Archinect
anchor

slender wood stair

asd
http://www.dwell.com/products/slideshows/16674646.html#id=a_1&num=2

are these types of stairs steel skeletons with a wood laminate finish.
i'm not sure if you could do it with just wood or even glue-lam.
has anyone out there done anything similar?

Mar 17, 08 11:54 pm
xacto

those risers look uncomfortably tall

Mar 18, 08 12:02 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

I swear that stair looks like it has about a 12" rise...

sorry, I know that's not what you're asking about.

· 
mantaray

JINX

you owe me a coke, xacto

· 
mdler

It is probably just a wood stair. You have to realize that most of the load is being taken by the riser in that case (not the tread). I assume that each riser is a cantiliever coming out of the wall. If you use some sort of pin or bolt to hold the tread into the riser above, you should probably be fine

that being said, consult an engineer before putting one of these in your project

Mar 19, 08 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

If I were building (or rebuilding) a house for this stair I would provide a stud for each riser. Glue, clamp and screw each riser to its stud, then sheetrock, and attach treads. No ? A nice touch would be to let the treads stand a little off the wall, providing a pleasant gap and illuminating the structural solution, too.

Mar 19, 08 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

Mar 19, 08 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

yeah that's steep

Mar 19, 08 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

luis barragan did a similar stair (although not quite as slender a profile) 60 years ago.

Mar 19, 08 6:24 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Steep seems much more common in Japan, judging by both traditional and modern work I have seen in photos.

Mar 19, 08 6:25 pm  · 
 · 
asd

wow, for some reason i disregarded the riser when trying to figure out the structure. the risers probably have an accompanying stud. it all makes sense now.

i do like that suggestion of pulling back the tread to articulate the structure. leaving the tread flush does however add some mystery to how it's actually working; maybe that's what confused me.

the riser/tread ratio on barragan's does look a bit more comfortable...

thanks a lot! i'm not actually trying to do one, just had one of those "how does that work" moments

Mar 19, 08 7:48 pm  · 
 · 
PodZilla

Has anyone else besides me gotten really bored with Dwell's blase modern box-homes? I mean, they look great but the're just so..... Boring!

Mar 19, 08 8:21 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller

dread, you beat me to barragan.

I would definitely guess a stud per riser, along with liquid nail and probably 3.5" wood screws. Also, probably a 3/4" sheet of plywood between studs and risers to help distribute the force along with blocking behind treads. just a guess, though...Its how I would build it, but I'm not a framer or an engineer.

Mar 19, 08 8:26 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Send them over here for inspiration ! hold.box and the others will show them a thing or three. . .

Mar 19, 08 8:26 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller

to Pod, YES!!!

Mar 19, 08 8:27 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

ridiculously high riser meet personal injury attorney. personal injury attorney meet ridiculously high riser...

Mar 19, 08 8:32 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

And yet we don't want any ugly old handrails. . .

Mar 19, 08 8:34 pm  · 
 · 
Per--Corell

My first impression is that this must be a 3D rendering, -- with all the experiense I can draw on carpenting stairs of various forms, I would wonder if I would ever agrea to produce such a wonder, in real woods without dovetailing each step ending up with a price most people would not pay for some stairs.
But offcaurse -- if the base , the intire thing was welded together in steel plate, and then covered with woods like surface, that case I guess it would be manufactorable and work in 10 years , but realy , offcaurse with the right mashines and perfect wood any god carpenter would be able to make such one, but I for one would newer add any gurantie.

Mar 20, 08 5:48 am  · 
 · 

they never show anything but ridiculously slender people on the ridiculously slender stairs...why is that?

Mar 20, 08 11:01 am  · 
 · 
mdler

anyone else gotten bored with Dwell...period???

Mar 20, 08 12:10 pm  · 
 · 

I guess going up and down that stair gives you amazing posture.

Mar 20, 08 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
emaze

old fine homebuilding article

Mar 20, 08 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

plus if you fall down the stairs you get to crash into a full lenght window. very safe. wtf?

Mar 20, 08 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Nice one, emaze. I did a wall-hung vanity last year, 10' with thick concrete counter, hung on back wall and at ends. Glad my boss saw it the way I did, which was two massive 3/8" plate brackets similar to what's shown here, with 16" high protrusions. . .

Mar 20, 08 2:09 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: