Archinect
anchor

Off street Parking requirements in a R5 zone NYC

justyee

I am designing a multifamily house in a R5 zone in Queens, NY. I am trying to figure out how many off street parking spaces I need if I build 2 four family houses on a 50X100 lot.

In reviewing the zoning code, I need to provide .85 spaces per dwelling unit. However, this is only if the spaces are 'grouped'. If I provide parking at the back and front of this lot, will it be considered grouped or is grouped parking not allowed in the R5 zone? The code is ambiguous and I am inexperienced working in NYC.

I would really appreciate any help!

Mar 13, 08 10:50 pm
rozz

As defined by the Zoning Law of NYC....Group parking facility
A "group parking facility" is a #building or other structure# or
a tract of land, used for the storage of motor vehicles, that
contains more than one parking space, has access to the #street#
common to all spaces, and if #accessory# to a #residential use#,
is designed to serve more than one #dwelling unit#.
A #group parking facility# shall include, but is not limited to,
the following:
(a) an open parking area;
(b) parking spaces included within or on the roof of a
#building# not primarily used for parking;
(c) a #building# or #buildings# used primarily for parking,
including a group of individual garages.

How many dwelling units?...I'm assuming that the parking spaces will be as defined above a "tract of land"(open parking area). If so, then parking may be permitted in the back or side yards if needed. Follow this calculation: Section 23-23 Z.R.:Accessory Off Street Parking: 85% of dwelling unit(s) therefore # dwelling units proposed X 85%=# of parking spaces provided therefore ok.... E-mail me if you have any more questions...Good Luck!

Mar 14, 08 10:16 am  · 
 · 
justyee

Thanks for your response!

I think my confusion lays in what it says afterwards...

"In R3, R4 or R5 Districts, individual parking garages within
#residential buildings#, or individual unenclosed parking spaces
adjacent to #residential buildings#, which have access from a
#street#, a private street or a driveway common to all the
spaces, do not constitute a #group parking facility#."

Am I reading too much into this and just design for .85 spaces??

Also, according to Section 25-23, can I use .66 instead of .85 in a predominantly built-up area? I've established that it in a predominantly built-up area.

I really do appreciate your help!

Mar 14, 08 11:51 am  · 
 · 
rozz

No problem, glad to help...So are you filing for a R5 Infill compliance or just straight up R5?... The 66% is for R5 Infill and I believe R5b (which I don't think you have)... Ok so remember that with the R5 Infill-the FAR will be greater HOWEVER, your minimum front yard depth will increase to 18'... Also, your bldg height/street wall height decrease...no setback. I designed a multiple dwelling bldg. in R5...My boss said maybe we can file for R5 Infill...I suggested we stick with the R5 because it allowed for an additional story (penthouse)and less front yard depth.So it depends... If you have any addtional questions, ya know what to do. Cheers! P.S.- the orange zoning book is a handy starter reference to have...

Mar 14, 08 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
justyee

I'm not sure if I will file for the R5 infill, but I will use a 18' front setback so I can have 3 parking spaces in the front. I will also have 4 parking spaces in the rear with a driveway on the side.

I plan to have two attached buildings with 4 dwelling units each (8 units all together). If I have my 7 spaces (8x.85) configured as I have described above, will it conform to the parking space regulations?

As soon as I get a chance to head to that bookstore, I will pick up one of those handbooks or just order one.

Mar 14, 08 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
mleitner

Is this an R-5?

Mar 14, 08 6:41 pm  · 
 · 
justyee

No, R-5 is lower density, and lower rise, about 3-4 stories max.
sorry I don't know how to post a picture

Mar 15, 08 12:37 am  · 
 · 
brooklynboy

You can also use off-site parking. Just lease parking spaces in a nearby parking garage or lot and make it available to tenants. If no tenant wants the spaces, you can rent them to out to anyone. I think the spaces have to be within 1000 feet though.

I would highly recommend hiring an expeditor. Zoning is very complicated and interpretations vary a lot.

Mar 15, 08 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
rozz

Hey check your e-mail...

Mar 17, 08 11:46 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: