Archinect
anchor

Boissonnas House

sunsetsam

I was wondering if anyone has, or can find any photos of the Boissonnas House by Johnson and post the link or the photo. I couldn't find any :[

Mar 12, 08 10:34 pm
holz.box

which - new canaan or france?

here

Mar 12, 08 11:34 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

der, nevermind i thought there were more than one image per house on that site...

Mar 12, 08 11:35 pm  · 
 · 
sunsetsam

Thats the only picture i have of the house too, the one at the angle, grr.. but i really appreciate your help!!!....ll keep looking.

Mar 13, 08 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Mar 15, 08 12:03 am  · 
 · 

by far one of PJ's better projects

Mar 15, 08 1:00 am  · 
 · 

look deeper, techno. pj had some great ones, it's just more fun to pick on hom.

have you checked in this one, sunset?

Mar 15, 08 7:16 am  · 
 · 
SDR

"House on Long Island," 1962. Architectural Record described the site as an "extremely narrow lot," and mentioned that the transparent element was based on a sketch by Mies.

Mar 15, 08 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

that cantilever is too simple. it should have been more austentacious!

Mar 15, 08 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Hmm. Well, if you're serious, that's probably what differentiates 2008 from 1928 (or whatever). What was once ostentatious (if not outrageous) is now tame ?

I bet the approach and entry sequence is dramatic. Note 1" mosaic tile in living room; wonder what color it is.

This might be one of those architectural "SOMEone-had-to-do-it" projects. . .?

Mar 15, 08 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
blah
Hmm. Well, if you're serious, that's probably what differentiates 2008 from 1928 (or whatever). What was once ostentatious (if not outrageous) is now tame ?

I would disagree. A lot of Corbu's work still stands up when you go see it. Stand on the terrace at his masterpiece in Poissy. WOW! Same for Wright. Johnson did competent work but a lot of it seems muddled and derivative to me.

Mar 15, 08 7:14 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Derivative no doubt. This house comes at the end of his Miesian period, I guess, though Boissonnas, six years earlier, is already exploring other "classical" vocabularies. There is precious (ahem) little that's truly original in his work, but the quality, of detail and execution, is real.

Mar 15, 08 7:50 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

dear god, i obliterated ostentatious...

yeah, pj's leghumping mies. at least the work i'm familiar with. what was he doing before he went to germany? his little decon stuff is awkward as well.

but that looks like a simply supported truss...

maybe if there was only one column, i dunno. i get the expressed structure... but when it's not so obvious, i find it more interesting...

these projects intrigue and titillate me more, though...

Mar 15, 08 7:59 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

or this... very rational to me, yet still grabs my attention...

Mar 15, 08 8:01 pm  · 
 · 
sunsetsam

Personally, after looking at more photos of the Boissonnas house, it's my favorite out of any other house he designed. I really liked how he played around with the spaces, even though they seem to be separated, you kinda slide from one space to another in a gentle manner (if that made any sense). I just really hate brick....

SDR... THANKS ALOT FOR THE PHOTOS!!!!

Mar 15, 08 8:05 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

My pleasure, sunsetam. They're from the book "Modernism Reborn" by Michael Webb (Universe; 2001).

Holzbox, I agree -- much more interesting, scary (?) and less obvious stuff is being done; there is a perhaps nostalgic attraction for some in the clear and straightforward early modernist work -- of which the 1962 house above is an almost "historical" -- i.e., late -- example, perhaps.

Two-way cantilevers (are they properly called "compound"?) like your first example were attempted by Wright, in some of his carport roofs; his apprentices learned to incorporate steel in them -- against the purist or merely stubborn intentions of "the master" (!). Old modernists like me thrill to them -- and even more to modern, well-engineered examples !

Mar 15, 08 8:26 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: