Archinect
anchor

Should I buy organic milk? It's $5 for a half gallon!

on my way

I know this has nothing to do with architecture, but I'm a designer and I'm finally making some money and I'm therefore faced with new decisions... like whether or not I should be buying organic milk for $5 a half gallon, or for that matter, all the other organic foods that are like double the price...

I know it's the right thing to do conceptually, and it's probably somewhat better for my health, but really, if I took all that extra money for organic foods and donated it to a charity for starving children (or to Brad Pitt so he can build more houses in New Orleans), wouldn't I be doing the world a much better service? I know it would take discipline to actually save the extra money, but I could just calculate the difference in my monthly food spending for organic vs. normal and then donate that amount every month...

And this brings up another general question: How much should I give to charity in general? I know there are some ratios or averages available that say how much people give - but I never feel like those things actually apply to me. Thinking about an annual amount I should be giving away leaves me perplexed, because for so long I've been in the mindset of struggle... of trying to make enough money just to pay the rent. I volunteer in a local school 2 days a week and I always give $25 or $50 when I get a request in the mail from a cancer charity or the red cross or whatever, but should I also seeing ways go give more...?

Mar 9, 08 2:02 pm
mdler

milk is for pansys

Mar 9, 08 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

i love milk, i don't love hormones....buy organic

Mar 9, 08 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
Emilio

is this an architectural thread? ;D

Mar 9, 08 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
n_

Whole Foods = Whole Paycheck

Mar 9, 08 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

what is a pansys?

Mar 9, 08 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i dropped 770 clams at the united way auction last year. for five bucks a half gallon i'd insist on orgasmic milk...

Mar 9, 08 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
Emilio

should i buy more gas? shit, it's like $3.50 a gallon...damn..

Mar 9, 08 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

I think mdler meant to say PANSIES. You know those nice pretty mountain flowers that always wilt once it gets above 65 degrees.

These are my favourite ;o)

If you're really feeling torn in what to do, you could always do the 50/50 thing. One week, hormones, one week hormones free.

Mar 9, 08 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

if somebody calls you a viola tricolor hortensis, smack 'em!

Mar 9, 08 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
emaze

You could always volunteer, not every charity is looking for $...

Mar 9, 08 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

not since bovine growth hormone have 11yr old girls looked so good

Mar 9, 08 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

take it easy humbert.

Mar 9, 08 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Shit, if it wasn't for the hormones I wouldn't be a full 4 inches taller than my dad.

Mar 9, 08 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Sorry to confuse the issue even more, but possibly more important than organic is to try to buy local. If you have a farmer's market and can buy local milk from a small producer, it is most likely essentially organic, but not certified organic, as the certificaiton process is a huge pain in the ass for a small farm. By buying local you know the food is fresh, it's not traveled long distances (fossil fuel consumption), and you are supporting your neighbors. If you're in NYC, I am certain there are farmer's markets to choose from.

At the regular grocery, avoid Horizon. They are a huge agribusiness that is organic by law but not spirit. Organic Valley actually *is* a pool of small farms, so they are a much better choice. But again - a truly local farmer is the best choice, if you can get it.

Mar 9, 08 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
moose drool

Milk is for baby cows, not people.

Mar 9, 08 6:16 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

if you're going to donate money you should really give it to the football team of your alma mater...nothing is better than being a winner and helping school pride!

Mar 9, 08 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
SavedByTech

the ethical/economic issue is not whether to buy organic or not but whether you'd believe it ethical for cows to keep a herd of women and keep them pregnant so that they will produce milk (even though the cows agree that they don't really need to drink milk in adulthood and are slightly confused why they so enjoy drinking the human milk and not have their own kind bottled), only to drag away and kill the women's offspring when they give birth - and chop it up and sell it... repeat cycle.

but moose drool probably said it better

Mar 9, 08 7:36 pm  · 
 · 
SavedByTech

ok, i just read the OTHER two paragraphs in the initial post.
i think you have issues...about what it means to be a good person and so like.

don't worry so much.

Mar 9, 08 7:39 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

On second thought...you should donate money to notre dame...charlie weis will love...go irish!!!

Mar 9, 08 7:43 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Hey SBT - Random useless knowledge to throw out, but there are actually some women that lactate even after their children are weaned. My friend's son is almost four and she still lactates, as did her mom until she was in her mid 40's.

Mar 9, 08 7:45 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i am considering going back to get a phd in art history to study lactating madonnas.

Mar 9, 08 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
SavedByTech

tunamelt - well, great, but that wasn't the point i was trying to make was it?
anyway, i have made my choice and everyone can go about their business.
sorry, i'm against violence in any shape or form and as such, given the choice, cannot drink milk.

i am of course super-violent in all shapes and forms myself.

Mar 9, 08 8:22 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

organic rice milk the best!

Mar 10, 08 12:38 am  · 
 · 
4arch

Where are you shopping??? I pay about $5.50 for a GALLON of organic milk at Trader Joes.

Mar 10, 08 8:45 am  · 
 · 
trace™

yeah, I am not sure where you are buying either. I am a soy milk addict, though.

I dunno about you, but I donate a nice amount to my alma matters every month.

Mar 10, 08 9:35 am  · 
 · 
simples

i buy organic milk because i personally feel better after drinking it over regular milk - and as 4arch mentioned, at TraderJoes, organic milk is much cheaper than what you originally mentioned; some stores also offer milk "produced" without the use of hormones as well, so you might want to look into that -

Mar 10, 08 10:07 am  · 
 · 
aquapura

I wonder where the milk at Costco comes from? Not that I really care. At under $3/gallon I have extra $$ for buying liquor.

Mar 10, 08 11:33 am  · 
 · 
dotdotdot

go organic. 365 (whole foods brand) makes a less expensive organic milk. It's well worth it to not have milk with hormones or antibiotics.

Mar 10, 08 11:59 am  · 
 · 
****melt

SBT - I'm sorry, it was kinda meant to be funny as well. I totally respect your decision/opinion. Again, please excuse, it wasn't meant as a personal jab.

Mar 10, 08 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
Goletian

In the past people use to spend a much higher percentage of their income on food, I guess you could keep going all the way to subsistence living and put the percentage at a 100. As technology has improved and all that jazz we have been able to get away with spending less and less.

But if you really look into it a lot of times we are compromising quality. Back in the day everything was organic by default, but modern farming techniques allow for faming that isn't always ideal for optimum food. For example many fields are artificially fertilized after heavy use but other things the plants take out such as minerals don't get replaced. I heard one statistic that a bowl of vegetables has 1/50 of the minerals and vitamins it use to have, but I learned that a long time ago and don't have a link to reference.

Taste and health level of organic foods should go hand in hand, to spend the money on organic products should be a dual reward just for your own benefit alone. For example, has anyone ever had a really good organic strawberry? It's so good and sweet you would never even think of adding sugar to it.

So by being able to spend less on food in the modern day we are just taking the cheap option, but it is actually the norm to have higher quality food at a higher price.

Mar 11, 08 12:12 am  · 
 · 
Janosh

Organic is fine if you are into that, but keep in mind that you can get hormone free milk that isn't organic because the organic label requires that the animals be fed "organically grown" feed. And of course, just because something is eating organic feed doesn't mean pesticide free, it just means that synthetic pesticides aren't used. Organic pesticides can be just as nasty and environmentally persistent as synthetic ones. Pyrethrum, one of the most common pesticides used by organic growers, is labeled as a "likely carcinogen" by the EPA - just like Roundup. Furthermore, don't delude yourself into thinking that the herds that produce organic milk are lazing around in a verdant landscape - USDA rules only require "access to pasture", with no requirement that there be grass there, nor any specific duration.

There is also nothing to indicate that Organic food is any safer than its conventional counterpart. As LB said, if you are looking for food that tastes better and want to be a good citizen, buy your food and produce from a local producer - distance and accountability make a much bigger difference than a sticker.

P.S. Wash everything that you eat - organic produce or not, e. Coli from human or animal waste that finds its way onto your fruits and vegetables is much more likely to kill you than any pesticide.

Mar 11, 08 11:22 am  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

organic soy almond help or rice milk cow milk is for environmental racists and animal abusers

sure getting organic milk is better but do you really want to contribute to that unsustainable factory farming?

Mar 11, 08 11:53 am  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

hemp milk

Mar 11, 08 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

news today is that the pesticides caused gulf war illnesses
more reason to eat organic

Mar 11, 08 2:31 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: