Archinect
anchor

Working at Rafael Vinoly NYC

mrkmrc

Okay, i know this has been discussed in the past but the latest information is about an year old...

Has anyone recently worked at their NYC office or currently working, willing to share some experience there?

They seems to be hiring a bit these day including some job post on archinect.

I know all the past comments have been rather negative ... is it really that bad? :P I think they are good design firm for a office of 140+ people, which typically are more corporate then anything... agree? disagree?

thanks in advance!

Mar 8, 08 4:34 pm
MArch n' unemployed

i don't mean to hijack the post, but along with NY experiences, if anyone has anything to say about the newly opened LA office i'd like to hear that as well

Mar 8, 08 8:49 pm  · 
 · 
mrkmrc

Well, from what I heard, Rafael spends about 50% of his time in NY. Assuming London office is more established, he probably spends 25% in London and 15% in LA and 10% traveling... but earlier post suggests that his nephew is running the LA office.

Also, he only does design, the vice president of the company deals with all the business side of the things.

Mar 8, 08 9:36 pm  · 
 · 
meowmeow

I interviewed at Vinoly about 8 months ago and the guy I met with said something like "It's just like college, at 6pm we decide to do everything over again." My interview was also at 6pm and the office was essentially full of people working.

I did not get a good vibe from the office overall, and the interviewer did not seem particularly happy to work there either.

Mar 9, 08 8:12 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

There's plenty of good non-starchitect NYC firms that do good design work, treat their employees well, and will give you tons of meaningful experience. There's no need to sell yourself out to a sweatshop.

Mar 9, 08 10:25 pm  · 
 · 
mrkmrc

So the consensus is still a negative one i assume... though "it's just like college" can be taken positively,,,

Gin: can you name some non-starchitect with good design? I'm not familiar with the NYC market here...

Mar 9, 08 10:32 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Hmm... I'm relatively new in town myself, so I don't know the scene as well as the natives. But places like Dattner Architects and Peter Gluck & Partners come to mind offhand.

InsideArch.com has been a very helpful resource in separating the wheat from the chaff. And I assume you're already looking at AIA New York's website, which contains links to almost every firm in the city.

Mar 9, 08 10:38 pm  · 
 · 
some person

Is it safe to go back to InsideArch, or is it still hacked?

Mar 9, 08 10:56 pm  · 
 · 
mrkmrc

I just browsed InsideArch.com. With the exception of few firms, IMHO most of the highly rated firms (>20) aren't that great just judging from their website.... kinda shows that when design are average you tend to get pay more and better working environment as they don't waste resource and time on developing the design....

I wonder if there are good paying starchitects firm out there other than Gehry and H&deM.... and any at all in NYC?

Mar 9, 08 11:07 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Why do you want to work for a starchitect?

Mar 9, 08 11:22 pm  · 
 · 
mrkmrc

because I've done the non-starchitect type both boutique and corporate. In general starchitect has more projects with good design. Working on good design motivates you i think... well all depends on what level of experience you are and how the firm want you to work, but I think if you have certain skill sets, and the firm are willing to give you good responsibilities, starchitect are always better in terms of experience. Salary on the other hand will always be lower i guess...

I agree when you are fresh grad, there are more chance that working in starchitect could be discouraging for your future in various aspect, especially when they exploit you. But starchitect are what they are because they have something that the others don't have, and if I can somehow gain that sparks from them, then it's totally worth working for them i think....

anyways I don't want to turn this thread into another star or non-star debate... i think both are valid choice for different circumstances.

Mar 9, 08 11:36 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Well, at least you've given some thought to the issues and know what the pros/cons are. Too many people come onto these boards and think that starchitects are the only architects in the universe.

Mar 9, 08 11:42 pm  · 
 · 
mrkmrc

right, i do appreciate your thoughts. Indeed starchitects aren't the only architects.

Now, back to the topic, anyone else knows anything more about Vinoly NYC? or good or OK paying starchitects in NYC?

Mar 10, 08 12:02 am  · 
 · 
facader

Diller and Scofidio pay very well, as far as starchitects go. Nouvel is just starting an office in NYC and are starting out renting space at my fiance's firm, and I know they pay very well also. OMA pays like crap in New York, and so do Asymptote.

Mar 10, 08 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
mrkmrc

nouvel must be here for that high-rise project next to MoMA I assume?

DS+R, wish they post job ad to hire people, it seems people there are mostly by connections, or from princeton and cooper.

Mar 10, 08 1:21 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: