Archinect
anchor

If only all Developers felt this way....

Was reading this article in NYT on Two Trees Management and how they let artistic types and galleries, performances spaces pay cheap rent or with payments in kind in the DUMBO neighborhood. they do it because it makes a neighborhood cool, adds hipness etc. Smart move i think..

What caught my eye was this quote byt the father of the father and son development team..

"Operating on the principle that cultural ferment makes a neighborhood hot, Two Trees has offered creative people rents that they cannot refuse. 'It adds value to any neighborhood,' David Walentas said in an interview at a conference table in his unflashy Dumbo office. 'It’s like good architecture. Good architecture is cheap and adds value. People will pay a premium for it'."

Too bad most developers don't agree...

Mar 6, 08 12:51 pm
futureboy

if only those developers live up to what they say to newspapers.........

Mar 6, 08 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
mdler
http://www.artspaceusa.org/about/
Mar 6, 08 1:55 pm  · 
 · 

10-15 % seems completely reasonable to me. But then again i want a customized too me and my site. When i build a home..
Plus my archi-licensed friends would probably disown me..

Mar 9, 08 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
mental

cultural branding is not a new concept...and developers have a bad rap because of the dirty few, its up to architects to make "good architecture" in a way that will fit in budgets.

Mar 15, 08 11:33 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

There's an interior design company here in town (principal is alumni of my school) who's getting into the development game by buying up abandoned historical buildings, etc. His first building he made into live/work studios for artists and designers, with a space on the main floor to show the work that's being produced. I couldn't get in in in the summer because there were no vacancies, but the guy took all the time in the world to correspond with me, which is saying alot because he runs one of (if not THE) most successful interior design firms in this part of the country.

Some people care.

Mar 15, 08 11:41 am  · 
 · 
trace™

mental is right. Architect's are as much to blame for the cheap and ugly landscape out there. Developer's are numbers driven, but they will spend what the market determines, it is up to the architect to make it something quality. We all know that there are good designs at every price point, but far more ugly ones.

Mar 15, 08 6:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: