Archinect
anchor

Light-Sensitive Programs

standaman

What are some programs that rely on and operate under particular directions or qualities of sun light (i.e. art galleries, green houses etc.)? In other words, if sun movement were a parameter, what type of building would have potential to react to it in interesting ways?

Mar 1, 08 2:25 am
guppy

buildings with windows?

Mar 1, 08 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
garpike
what type of building would have potential to react to it in interesting ways?

This question is literally backwards. I mean no offense. I really do mean it is the reverse train of thought. Don't we typically start with use?

I'd agree with guppy, but I think the answer could be simplified to "buildings".

standaman, what is this for? School?

Mar 1, 08 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

stonehenge!

Mar 1, 08 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
standaman

@ garpike.
but...but... conventional train of thought is so boring!! ;)

Yes, we typically start with use and I'm about to start so that's why I'm asking. In this particular case, we get to choose our program and later explore how its operation would be affected buy the natural movement of the sun. Hence choosing a program early on that is more sensitive to daylighting than the average living room and for reasons beyond simple energy-efficiency is kinda important for not feeling like I'm wasting my tuition. haha. Thanks for the your comments though. I totally see what you're trying to say.

How about a public prescription marijuana farm that is managed by prison labor? A solar-powered bat farm? A tanning salon inspired by ....stonehenge??? C'mon guys. I appreciate input from engineers, but what I was hoping for were the provocative answers from all you crazy architects.

Mar 1, 08 9:43 pm  · 
 · 
cowerd

what's wrong with a living room and energy efficiency?

can't feel creative unless your "program" is obtuse? what a waste.

Mar 2, 08 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
standaman

A living room is a totally valid idea. It's just that I've done one before. Anything else? I need some diversity in my portfolio.

Mar 3, 08 2:19 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: