Archinect
anchor

Denver Public Library - cladding material

4arch

Yes, I know the building is ugly, but I am interested in using the green stone or stone-like cladding material used on the facade of this building on a project I'm working on. Anyone know what this material is or how to find out?

(And yes, I've tried Google, but searches for DPL & cladding always give me info about the Denver Art Museum and mention that the library is across the street).

Feb 29, 08 8:46 am

nice consistent color green stone with no veining. gives a very smooth, homogenous appearance, especially from a distance. i can understand the desire to try to use it. not sure what it is but this might help:

do a flickr search for pictures,
find good ones and click on 'all sizes' for the biggest version to save to your computer,
print at highest quality,
take to your local stone supplier to identify.

not being sarcastic; i've done this before. a good stone supplier will be able to identify it for you + whether they can get it/whether they have something that might be similar if they can't.

Feb 29, 08 9:00 am  · 
 · 
Gabe Bergeron

I believe it's a dyed concrete - don't know the exact product. There is some stone on the building - the tan portion along 13th. The turret on the west that has the pyramid top might be a stone.

Don't know if Graves' office would respond to an inquiry, but the local architect was Klipp (formerly KCJD) - you could probably get some info from them. I started as a courier at KCJD, ran drawings back and forth to this building during construction.

Feb 29, 08 10:04 am  · 
 · 

well, ok, THAT might puzzle a stone supplier.

Feb 29, 08 10:08 am  · 
 · 
4arch

Thanks for the suggestions. I will see if I can get in touch with KCJD.

Feb 29, 08 1:48 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: