Archinect
anchor

Plywood Screens

tambi

Hello All,

I'm wanting to create a couple of screen walls on a house I'm working on currently. Has anybody ever had a pattern or motif cut into ply for such a purpose? I'd love to see some examples of buildings with this kind of arrangement if you guys know of any.
I came across the buildings of Klein Dytham who use such screens beautifully.

Thanks again

Feb 29, 08 1:59 am
holz.box

KD have one, hairywood by 6a architects as well... the bigger question is why would you want to waste so much wood?

Feb 29, 08 2:44 am  · 
 · 
FOG Lite
Associated Fabrication/ 4Pli

wastes a lot of wood! They make some nifty stuff and maybe could mill your screens for you.

Feb 29, 08 8:53 am  · 
 · 
207moak

Klein Dytham
heidi house

Feb 29, 08 9:28 am  · 
 · 
tenn

you may also check our craig borum's work at Ply Architecture.
http://www.plyarch.com/

Feb 29, 08 11:27 am  · 
 · 
mdler

interior or exterior??? Plywood gets fucked up outside

Feb 29, 08 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

You could take your chances on marine plywood, though I've heard it warps like the rest of them.

Feb 29, 08 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

h&dem's plywood house and frei studio have held up well for 20-ish years

Feb 29, 08 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

marine grade plywood looks like shit if exposed to sun after a while

Feb 29, 08 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
tambi

Thanks for all your input.
What othe materials would you suggest I investigate for this application? The wall needs to remain lightweight and the idea is to have the wall read as a single element with incisions within it rather than a series of elements with apertures between them.
We are wanting white finish at the end whether it is painted or rendered etc
Cheers

Mar 2, 08 9:51 pm  · 
 · 
antipod

Ply is fine provided it has the correct treatment, enough fixings and the chance to dry out regularly.

Like most timber products it has a limited life and needs a bit of TLC from time to time, but it's cheap and light, so whatchugonnado?

This is how it's done back in un-zud:

http://www.shadowclad.co.nz/index.cfm/pageid/56/Home

Mar 12, 08 1:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: