Archinect
anchor

Filing System

This may sound a bit naive , but i'd love to hear how file their work on computers .. especialy students . I cannot for the life of me keep any order to the mess on my desktop - and wind up saving hundreds of minutely diffeerent drafts , and plottting the wrong one all the time.. - do you file per the date ? per the project? etc..

Feb 27, 08 6:58 pm
n_

While this may not work for all, this worked for me. The path was similar to something like this:

my documents < studio (folder) < studio course number (folder) < project name (folder) < project phase (folder) < files corresponding to project phase

I never, ever save anything on my desktop. I'm wayyy OCD about it. I like everything clean and organized in a folder. My current desktop has only one icon on it and that's the recycling bin. I can't remove it. If I could, I would. Trust me, I've tried.

Feb 27, 08 10:02 pm  · 
 · 
Oysters and Trifle

n_, a clean desktop? That's amazing. You can try to hide most of that last remaining icon by doing this:
- right click anywhere on the desktop.
- "Arrange Icons By"
- make sure to uncheck "Align to grid"
- move the icon as much as possible out of the desktop.

What you'll be left with is probably a small cow lick hovering over, say, the clock.

Oh, and c, if you can't throw anything away, try creating a folder called 'obsolete' to clear things up a bit.

A totally clean desktop? I like it.

Feb 28, 08 1:06 am  · 
 · 
n_

This is my desktop 365 days a year. Well, due to leap year, sometimes 366 days a year.

Feb 28, 08 8:01 am  · 
 · 
JsBach

I file old drafts and sketches with the prefix "Z". Everything is in a folder named after the particular job/project. I will add the date if there are multiple back files. For example a path might look like this:

C:/projects/customer/z-2-28-08-job number-floor plan.dwg

Feb 28, 08 8:39 am  · 
 · 
joshuacarrell
Remove

your recycling bin.

Feb 28, 08 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
mleitner

Most important thing:
Make a unique prefix for every project (project number). Start every filename (and folder name) with this prefix and you will always be able to tell what context a file came from. This also helps when searching for the floor plan file of a certain project among a million files called floor plan.
Also, if you have several versions of a file keep the name consistent and date them in the format yymmdd. This way they will always sort correctly in list view.

Feb 28, 08 1:09 pm  · 
 · 

i think theres some tips [a href=http://www.mnftiu.cc/mnftiu.cc/filing.001.html]here...[/a]

Feb 28, 08 5:03 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: