Archinect
anchor

HELP PLEASE Using vray and rhino 5 to make an acoustical cloud white from below

Jessamichelle

Hello there!

I am fairly new to rhino and have been having such a tough time with lighting. Whenever I attempt to use the physical camera it's super dark so I am using the default camera.  I have light portals at all the windows as well as the sun turned on. The interior looks great but my acoustical cloud hanging from the ceiling is turning out grey and I want it to be white. Emmisive materials aren't an option because they take too long to render.  The ceiling tiles are set up against a black ceiling.  Would I put a light on the ground somehow pointed up?  This is due really soon so any help or advice would be greatly appeciated. Thank you so much!

Apr 25, 13 12:52 am
accesskb

what are you using as the renderer?  Can you use Vray?  Are you just trying to get a render, or trying to achieve some real lighting condition?  If its only a render, put light pointed wherever you need to achieve the desired result.  If you look at how cinematic scenes are lit, you use many different light to get teh proper lighting and do not forget where the light bounces off.  In your case, I'll guess there is two lights that comes into the room from the window.  One is to mimic the bright sun, and the other to mimic bluish light that bounces off the sky and enters the room.  These lights comes down at an angle from the sun, and since light travels in straight lines, its impossible for it to change directions and light the acoustical cloud hanging on the ceiling without first bouncing off the room floor.  So put some soft light on the floor and point it towards the ceiling to mimic the bounce.  You could put these lights close to the acoustical cloud also if you don't want the light to affect the overall room lighting.  I hope I understood you somewhat

Apr 25, 13 4:49 am  · 
 · 
accesskb

I suggest you get a copy of this lighting dvd if you can to help you better understand lighting for future.  Its for Maya but the techniques/principles can be applied to any software.  Its an amazing tutorial by a Pixar lighting director.

http://www.3drender.com/DVD1/index.htm

Apr 25, 13 4:52 am  · 
 · 
Jessamichelle

Thank you for the quick and thoughtful response.  I am using vray and I used two spotlights to create spot lights on my ceiling but now it's taking around ten hours to render.  I am rendering at a higher output though so that is probably why.  Thanks for the advice with that DVD I need all the help I can get with this lighting thing haha!

Apr 25, 13 9:30 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: