Archinect
anchor

"clerk of the works"

joe

Anybody here have experience with being a clerk of the works for a medium sized project? I am interviewing soon for a position that a firm sought me out for, and I'm not positive as to what the full duties would include. I'd just like to get a little more familiarized with the job tasks and duties before I go to the interview. also is the salary comensurate with that of an intern architect (what I'm doing currently) ? I have nothing to really base that on and am going in blind. anybody that knows any secret industry sites or information about salaries beyong that of architects and interns and interior designers would be appreciated.

also I googled clerk of the works and found a decent amount of information ,but am looking for first hand info from lower level employees if at all possible.
many thanks - Joe

Feb 26, 08 7:09 pm
treekiller

CotW is a very administrative gig with an emphasis on logging and tracking correspondence related to the construction contract and the performance of the contractor. If you are doing IDP, then you will get all your CA and contract/bid units.

I once worked with a guy who was straight out of high school and looking to head to architecture school later, who was the CotW on a $32m academic project. You need to be smart and organized but not technically experienced.

Feb 26, 08 8:13 pm  · 
 · 
joe

any clue as to a salary window?

I think I have the organization and the smarts down after reading generally what the job encompases. the project I would be on is an academic building less than $10m if that matters.

Feb 26, 08 8:17 pm  · 
 · 
joe

I've already finished all of my office CA but not the observation CA, so that would be good. and I'm sure that job would bridge to other "harder to get" categories as well.

Feb 26, 08 8:21 pm  · 
 · 
some person

Yeah, tk is right.

I've only heard the term applied in the Northeast, specifically near Boston. It's another term for owner's representative.

For a few years while still in grad school I worked for an owner's rep firm doing many of the "clerk of the works" duties which included filing RFI's, tracking issues, reviewing architects' and GC's invoices/pay applications, etc. There were also times when our team needed to solicit approvals/concensus from the owner/users of the building. It was a lot of paper pushing which isn't necessarily bad and actually taught me a lot about the business. However, I finally decided that I wanted to be the one designing the projects, not tracking the projects.

Also, being clerk of the works does not substitute for the experience gained while being an architect for your own project during construction administration. A different kind of mentality is required. Being a clerk of the works will teach you the business of how buildings get built, but being an architect during CA will teach you more about sequencing, detailing, and the essential information that needs to be shown on drawings.

Feb 26, 08 9:45 pm  · 
 · 
spark

I think, as an intern, you should take advantage of virutally any opportunity to spend time on construction sites. It will be demanding and stressful but will greatly improve your confidence later in your career. It can be a physical grind - you'll discover there was a good reason why you went to college.

You probably shouldn't expect a significant salary increase specifically for this unless there are other circumstances - travel, additional expenses, etc. If you stay with the firm after this experience, you should definitely pursue a salary increase. You will be more valuable and they should pay you more.

When you get on site, don't be a prima donna. Get in the trench or up on the roof. Get dirty. Talk to the workers and relate to them on their level. Learn their viewpoints. Learning to relate to construction workers is incredibly valuable.

Pushing paper is part of being an architect, get good at it so you can do it quickly, giving you more time for design.

Feb 26, 08 10:39 pm  · 
 · 
joe

I currently have a job crunching on revit, pounding through project after project so this is one real reason I am taking the interview, it would be completely opposite of what I'm doing and have done for a long while. because there is a big part of me that wants to get back out into the field. I love to get dirty and learn via hands on experiences and I think seeing a building go in the ground from start to finish would be awesome. I guess I'll see how the interview goes.

and believe me I know the stereotypes between construction workers, contractors, and architects. Needless to say I wouldnt be the architect guy showing up in slacks and nice shoes and some prada shirt. boots and jeans are your friend. heh.

Feb 26, 08 10:47 pm  · 
 · 

"The Cock of the Walk, Baby"

Feb 27, 08 1:40 am  · 
 · 
joe

thought I would update you guys. turns out the firm interviewed me in the mindset of hiring for an intern architect position and the clerkk of the works aspect was hardly even mentioned, even upon questioning. so I guess we'll see if they like me. I have a feeling they do though.

Feb 27, 08 10:49 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: