Archinect
anchor

image gallery question and answering

to the person who posted this image

with the question "Can anyone tell me where this is?"

it was in Hong Kong. it was called kowloon walled city. it had one of the highest population densities on the planet.

if you are interested in kowloon walled city i would recommend MVRDV's book FARMAX which has some brilliant diagrams and analysis of the KWC.

Feb 26, 08 5:22 pm
WonderK

John Jourden.....fascinating. I wasn't the one who asked, but I had no idea it ever existed. Thanks.

Feb 26, 08 6:13 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

yeah, there's another great book on it, city of darkness.

Feb 26, 08 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

Inspiration for Blade Runner????

Feb 26, 08 6:50 pm  · 
 · 

glad i could offer up some food for thought wonder-k... hope the person with the question finds this as well.

Feb 27, 08 11:22 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

i second city of darkness for the stunning photos and great interviews with the folks that lived there.

Feb 27, 08 11:46 am  · 
 · 
simples

it does seem so surreal...i did not post the image, but was very intrigued by it...thanks for all the additional resources as well;

Feb 27, 08 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Farmax has some great pictures. I get uncomfortable just looking at them.

I'll have to check out City of Darkness.

Feb 27, 08 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

kowloon wall city was one of important architectural piece in last century...

can u imagine inorder to leave ur apartment or go through others living room?

it was a master piece without architect... like an ant farm, things just build whereever there was space without masterplan nor plans...

Feb 27, 08 10:03 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

typo> leave ur apartment u have to go through....

Feb 27, 08 10:03 pm  · 
 · 
citrus.grey

A from Hong Kong told me once that most of these residential towers take about a week to design.

Great photo, unbelievable place.

Feb 27, 08 10:08 pm  · 
 · 
French

There was a video game back in the days, on the sega dreamcast, Shenmue II, that was set in Kowloon city. it was great; elevated streets, high rises ... just what the modern told us.

Feb 28, 08 12:18 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: