Archinect
anchor

Energy Modeling

treekiller

Any thoughts about DOE2.1 versus Energy Plus or all the other programs out there?

What programs seem to have the best accuracy in predictions versus which are easiest to create/import building models into?

It's not like I'm going to be running the energy models, but what stuff do you need to know before sending files to the folks that do use this software????

Feb 25, 08 12:40 pm
treekiller

yeah, none of them seem to be ed mazria's interactive parametric pop up dream window .

Feb 25, 08 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
cvankle

there are rumors that energy plus will soon release a sketchup plugin
ecotect isn't bad either

Feb 25, 08 11:19 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

treekiller, are you sending 3D models or would they create a 3D model based on 2D drawings (or possibly not even drawings)?

I took a couple "classes" on exporting/importing energy models from BIM models (mainly Revit). I like the potential of interoperability of the gbXML format and being able to export not just geometrical info, but other data as well.

I know you won't be running the energy model yourself, but are you hoping that you would be in the future? I think as interoperability increases between energy models and BIM models, and the user interface becomes easier, that more architects will be able to take a more analytical approach during schematic design of more sustainable buildings (a simpler version maybe). I'm tired of seeing work go to more and more consultants being labeled "collaboration" when really it is about delegation of work/liability and results in less integrated systems and loss of info during translation.

Feb 26, 08 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

We're at that junction where we are figuring out our work plan and coordinating with the consultants for what they need to start work. So 2d or 3d are options.

I'm energy model curious , but don't know if I'll ever get the chance with the current gig to play with the software...

If ed's magic box ever shows up on my computer screen, I'll be happy.

Feb 26, 08 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
joshuacarrell

Hey TK,
I must have missed this. We use Revit to model. I have done schematic carbon footprint analysis using the Green Building Studio. I also use IES Sustainable toolkit plug in which gives me daylight and heat/cool load analysis, all within Revit.
Like Philarch mentions, I export the geometric information using GBxml and my consultants mostly use Trane Trace, to do their analysis of my model.
We are still working out the kinks, but we literally have instant feedback on carbon, daylighting and heating cooling loads from the beginning stages of schematic design. No extra work for me, a lot of saved work for the consultants. Even if they have to tweak the defaults, the geometry transfer has been pretty clean up to this point.
Autodesk recently purchased the Greenbuilding Studio, so I only expect greater interoperability in the future.

j

Feb 27, 08 12:16 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: