Archinect
anchor

Tips for Architecture/Engineering and CAD Job Posters on Craigslist

ff33º

1. To: Anonymous Posters-
Putting the title of your firm would be a nice courtesy,as many interns and CAD drafters would like the same opportunity to evaluate your Intern position , as you have evaluating them. Its fine if you don't want to put your number or whatever, but at least be straight and put who you are, on the ad, you pompous fuck.

2. Layout=Plan
Just be professional and use the word "Plans" when referring to the design work. Also, "topdown" or "birdseye's" views are not allowed as descriptive words for your bleak concept of design documentation.

3. Phrases like "Must be extremely detail oriented!" are not necessary..as most humans with a reasonable level of detail observation ability and that are also applying for your lame CAD job are not going to have any thing "extremely"! I mean you wouldn't expect your current employees to be "extreme",..so just expect your prospective employees to be equally as smart..especially for positions that pay 10$ to 15$ an hour.

4. If you job is national or International, would you mind just putting where that IS exactly? "USA" doesn't really help....

5. Your idea of an "opportunity: isn't always that to someone who has been around. it is basically a lie to call a repetitive , meaningless, dead-end drafting job an opportunity.
6. Given that there are like a billion jobs to consider on any given day...just try to use a bullet or two when describing the benefits and requirements of the position. Granted you came up with the job description just now, but get to the point , we all have other jobs to checkout

7. Its draftsPERSON, not draftsMAN! No need to use the word "Technician" either.

8. You don't need to say the word "Auto" before CAD...there is only really, only one 2d CAD software ,for the most part, anymore. If it is a special software, then please specify.

9. There is only one D in CAD , now.

10. All Capital letters, and exclamation marks don't make your shitty 2d CAD job any more enticing.

Feb 24, 08 12:45 am
dutchmodernist

this post=win

Also,

11. Please don't put your office assistant slave job under the cad/engineering section. Or even the art/media/design section. If you have to write in big caps, THIS IS NOT A DESIGN JOB, then it goes in the admin/office section, you tool.

Feb 24, 08 10:18 am  · 
 · 
file

do you guys really think you're getting in front of the people you want to "educate" here? anybody who posts here probably isn't dumb, or unsophisticated, enough to do the things you're complaining about.

Feb 24, 08 10:47 am  · 
 · 
dutchmodernist

file...I think it's just a rant for fun. At least that's the spirit my post was in!

Feb 24, 08 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

I disagree about "Auto"CAD... given that there are many of us specifically searching for jobs that don't persist in attempting to implement that dreadful excuse for a program, it's nice to see it in the ad so we can skip right on past!

Feb 24, 08 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

what else do people use for 2d anymore, just curious?

anyway. yeah this was a total (angry) rant...I am not even looking for a job or anything...I was just trying to be an advocate for everyone that subjected to the whole underpaid CAD job-hunt.

Feb 24, 08 11:39 pm  · 
 · 
Juncture

I use DataCAD but I don't hire anybody :) It's far superior for jobs that don't involve lots of people. It's stripped down, but more intuitive by miles for drawing lines.

Feb 25, 08 12:14 am  · 
 · 
c.k.

I skip the ones that use the word draftsman,person, whatever

Feb 25, 08 1:17 am  · 
 · 
idiotwind

this is great!! i just forwarded it to a few positions i applied to

Jun 9, 08 9:24 pm  · 
 · 
binary

i wish i could punch them in the nuts for posts like that....

i sent a reply to a few of them and after they reviewed my work/etc.... the question becomes.... "well have you worked in this so-so field before".... mofo you didnt list that and all you needed was a cad monkey..wtf.....

i really dont understand this field at all........

the last place i replied to needed a detailer for structural..... ok...... come to find out they still hand draw things....wtf.........

Jun 9, 08 10:04 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

i agree for the most part, but on point 1: Most of those are probably professional headhunters. if they told you the firm name, you could circumvent them and contact the firm directly, depriving them of the commission if you're hired....so it's really an even better reason not to reply to those: any firm that needs a headhunter to find people probably isn't a great place to work. unless perhaps, we're dead in the middle of a boom economy....oh, wait.

Jun 10, 08 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

CAAD Comp. Aided Architectural design
&
CADD Comp. Aided Design and Drafting

are still OK,

ya they are most likely head hunters back when i job searched those were what all the ads were

Jun 10, 08 7:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: