Archinect
anchor

Who knows "Joe" The arch record guy

lopaka

For the past Five years, as consistent as spring, fall, and winter, Joe "the bad ass" Arch Record salesman interrupts every class in the building to talk about the "Record".

A few of our favorite quotes are.

" The, the records got floor plans and elevations" (as he rumages through pages in search of an image, never to find it)

"My cousin is an architect in Cincinnati, he loves the Record!!!"

I love this guy, anyone else know him?
I actually made a shirt of him for a class T. If someone could explain how to put up a picture i would be glad to share it

Feb 22, 08 1:29 am
xtbl

yes!!! i remember "joe the arch record guy"!!!

he looked a little like george w. bush, no?

Feb 22, 08 1:49 am  · 
 · 
xtbl

yes, i remember that too!!!

i can remember his voice now. nice man.

if you look @ the bottom of the page, below the response box, in light grey text, there's a code.

Feb 22, 08 1:53 am  · 
 · 
xtbl
" The, the records got floor plans and elevations" (as he rumages through pages in search of an image, never to find it)

is what i remembered...

Feb 22, 08 1:54 am  · 
 · 
lopaka

a little more hunched over, he might even be more intellectual than bush...but yes!!

Feb 22, 08 1:56 am  · 
 · 
xtbl

ha ha, where did you go to school?

i remember him first from my east l.a. community college days, then also at cal poly pomona.

Feb 22, 08 1:57 am  · 
 · 
dutchmodernist

We've got a different guy here on the east coast, he's kind of creepy and he ALWAYS interrupts me in the middle of my lectures - not the way to get on my good side.

I tell my students to subscribe to metropolis instead.

Feb 22, 08 10:05 am  · 
 · 
207moak

I only remember Joe selling Isuzus

Feb 22, 08 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

ha ha, that is cool.

Feb 22, 08 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

you have to sort of feel sorry for an old dude going from architecture school to architecture school pushing a shitty magazine....

Feb 22, 08 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
mdler
Feb 22, 08 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
n_

I want to buy 8 of those tshirts. I love it.

Feb 22, 08 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

I remember him in undergrad and grad. Across the country!

Feb 22, 08 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

garpike, where'd you go to school?

i'm thinking he's their west coast rep, but if you went to school somewhere else then maybe he's national.

Feb 22, 08 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

I thought he was just peculiar to SCI-Arc. He was awesome, I always wished I had the dough to subscribe, not for the magazine, just to help him out.

Feb 22, 08 3:14 pm  · 
 · 

We had Joe at SC too. I always thought he was a lot like Gil from the Simpsons.

Feb 22, 08 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

ahahahaha! yeah, you know, rationalist i can see that too!!!

Feb 22, 08 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

joe was liked. but, not well liked.

Feb 22, 08 5:44 pm  · 
 · 

dread, there was a specific episode where Gil was selling computers (the one where Lisa cheats on a test), and he's like, "oh c'mon, if you just buy ten more then ol' Gil won't get his arms broken by the mob..." or something equally pathetic. That's always how I picture Joe.

Feb 22, 08 6:23 pm  · 
 · 
surface

I kind of like the idea of a commemorative... piece... for Joe (I never experienced him and this is the first I've heard.)

But I wish it felt more like a good natured commemoration of the idiosyncratic mutual experience of his sales routine, rather than making fun of the guy. This seems a bit mean... maybe you don't intend for it to do so, but that is how it comes across. But there HAS to be a way to do it because this could truly be classic!!!

Feb 22, 08 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

ahaha! yeah, classic episode!

another one:

Smitten with the Canyonero bug, Homer visits his friendly dealer, where he literally drools over the new trucks. Gil approaches him.

Gil: Go ahead, drool all you want, you can't hurt that finish. Now rainwater, that will strip it right off, so ... aw, I shouldn't have said that ... aw, Gil.

Homer: Hey, a red one. [runs to a red Canyonero] Can I buy that? Please?

Gil: Well, if you, well ... really? Wow, Hot, hot dog! A sale! [goes to put a little Canyonero marker, indicating a sale, on a bulletin board]

Stan: I'll take it from here, Gil. [takes Gil's marker]

Gil: No, wait, no. Aw, you can't take my sale. My wife's going to leave me if I don't start bringing in the green. Come on, let me have this one, Stan, I'm begging you. Look at me, I'm begging you, Stan.

Stan: Mm-hm. [walks Homer to his office] Let's go write this up, shall we?

Gil: [pulls a rotary-dial cell phone from his jacket, and dials] Honey, you should have seen me with my last customer, I ... no, but I came so close. This guy was as ... Whose voice is that? Is that Fred? ... Aw, you said it was over ... No, don't put him on -- Hello, Fred, h-hi.

more on our friend gil here.

yeah, i'm a big simpsons dork.

Feb 22, 08 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
lopaka

He is a classic!! I'm not being sarcastic about this at all.. I have had great conversations with this guy, he spends his life talking and trying relate with young architects (granted he is trying to sell a product) But I honestly think he enjoys what he does, and deserves to be recognized.

Feb 22, 08 6:38 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

yeah, it's all in good fun.

he's a really nice guy.

Feb 22, 08 6:39 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

I was thinking about it some more, and it would be great if a school got an advance warning of Joe's arrival and did kind of an Improv Everywhere bit on him. Wearing t-shirts with his likeness, EVERY single student he talks to buys a subscription!

Feb 22, 08 8:31 pm  · 
 · 

i like to interview this guy for archinect. can anybody put me in touch with him?

Feb 22, 08 11:13 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

dude,..thats is so freaky...you mean you guys have seen him too?

Feb 22, 08 11:17 pm  · 
 · 
adso

He hit me up in undergrad, grad school, and a few years ago I taught a design studio part time, and in walks Joe. He's been at it for at least 20 years.

Alec Baldwin yelling "Coffee is for closers" always pops in my head whenever I see him.

Feb 23, 08 11:38 am  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

When he walked around SCI-Arc, I always heard he was let in because Simonian was friends with him.

Feb 23, 08 7:50 pm  · 
 · 
drizzler

I remember my first year at UCLA we were having a review in the double height space, which is accessed by a steep circular stairway. Joe started coming down the stairs and fell down about the last 5... during the middle of someone's presentation. Everybody just stopped and turned around, and he's like "hey guys! Sorry about the interruption... [pause] have you purchased a subscription to Architectural Record yet?" Everyone was trying not to laugh.

Feb 24, 08 3:36 am  · 
 · 
mkokimoto

I saw him at the AIA convention. I thought I was the only one who would remember such a character.

Feb 24, 08 4:50 am  · 
 · 

He was definitely at Cal Poly SLO during my years there (2003-2008).

Does anybody know if Joe is still alive? 

Jul 16, 20 3:08 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: