Archinect
anchor

SF and NYC parking codes

drizzler

I was wondering if someone could give me some general commercial and residential parking requirements for San Francisco and New York City. I am interested in comparing the requirements to those of Los Angeles, which while greater in density than both SF and NY, has higher parking requirements (this has helped to create a much less vibrant downtown area as well as some of the worse traffic congestion in the country).
I don't need the full code, but if someone could provide something along the lines of "X number of spots per residential unit or X square feet" that would be helpful. I have been searching the various city websites, but with no luck.
I know of several American cities that have very low parking requirements for residential projects or have gotten rid of them altogether (San Francisco, Seattle, Portland, NY... and probably others). If you know of other high density cities which are trying to lower or eliminate parking requirements could you let me know?

Thank you!

Feb 17, 08 3:28 am
knock

developers here have been trying to get amendments for additional parking to the planning code in SF for years now, with not much avail to this date, knock on wood (got shut down in the elections last november). As far as I can tell, the guidelines will require a spot per residential unit, but is difficult to get more or less than that, I believe. some of the more recent, and oftern affordable, housing projects have been almost able to completely get rid of the parking requirements in some areas, however.

as far as commercial parking, i have no idea, though.

Feb 17, 08 3:34 am  · 
 · 
Medusa

New York codes vary significantly according to zoning district. For example, in an R-6, you need one space per dwelling unit, but if the building footprint is less than 10,000 sf, you can reduce that requirement by half. There are additional waivers where you can get away with providing no parking or minimal parking. But, like I said, every zoning district has different rules. The entire NYC Zoning Resolution can be found on the NY Dept of Buildings website.

Feb 17, 08 10:38 am  · 
 · 
drizzler

Thank you, those are both very helpful posts.

Feb 17, 08 4:14 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: