Archinect
anchor

Disney Revives 'House of the Future'

4arch
Disney Revives 'House of the Future'

There are so many things wrong just with this one sentence...

The 5,000-square-foot home, scheduled to open in May, will look like a suburban tract home outside.

It's a house of a future we just can't afford economically, socially, or environmentally.

Feb 14, 08 9:50 am
evilplatypus

I do like at least they are trying to get people thinking about the future. But most of the hi tech features are already being done and are a 1990's vision of the future - Disney is a little behind here. Although cool that my countertops may be able to recognize my groceries through RFID I'll probably not give a crap about weather or not they can recomend a recepie. It will be a futuristic version of the VCR clock forever blinking 12 but no one bothering to do anything about it.

Feb 14, 08 10:05 am  · 
 · 
simples

quote:"The $15 million Innoventions Dream Home is a collaboration of The Walt Disney Co., Microsoft Corp., Hewlett-Packard Co., software maker LifeWare and homebuilder Taylor Morrison."

further proof that if you have a homebuilder on your team, you do not need an architect...

Feb 14, 08 11:27 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I hope they included the big "FORECLOSURE" sign out in the front yard.

Feb 14, 08 11:28 am  · 
 · 
simples

and if you look at the Typ. home in the US, and how it has changed over the last hundred years, the future certainly does look bleak...

maybe the "f" in efis stands for "future"

Feb 14, 08 11:29 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

holy living god we're all doomed...

And the original house of the future was just so cool looking...

Feb 14, 08 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
freebornman

"The 1950s home didn't look like anything, anywhere. It was space-age and kind of cold," she said. "We didn't want the (new) home to intimidate the visitors. We want the house to be real accessible to our guests."

nice. don't want to scare the good little suburbanites with anything crazy now do we.

Feb 14, 08 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

My god Americans are sheep.

Feb 14, 08 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

burn it down!

i prefer this model:
allmann sattler wappner

Feb 14, 08 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

There's no EIFS stucco!!! You think that would sell!?

Feb 14, 08 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I like the idea of the house above, but its a bit cold, like living in a garage.

Feb 14, 08 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
4arch

that house is "space-age and kind of cold". it might "intimidate the visitors". especially with that funny toilet in the last image.

Feb 14, 08 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

wow, i didn't notice the wc, that is pretty far out.

Feb 14, 08 3:19 pm  · 
 · 

Apur...

Bahhhhhh!

Feb 14, 08 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
Stides

~~Home of the Future Premium Edition~~
me: Computer! shower on.
computer: warning - this will change your current hardware settings, which requires admin approval - are you sure you want to do that? Say 'yes' to continue, 'no' to cancel.
me: yes
~shower turns on cold water~
me: computer - set water to 36 degrees
computer: sets temp.
me: computer -this is still freezing - I said use Celsius yesterday - don't you learn?
computer: command not understood.
me: computer: set water to 36 degrees CELSIUS
computer: this is a US based system and only allows Fahrenheit temperatures. For international measurement packs, install House of the Future Ultimate Edition.
me: *%*#%*^ - computer - set temp to 98F!
computer: House temperature is now set to 98 degrees Fahrenheit.
me: aaargh - no computer, set shower water temperature to 98F and house temp to 70F.
computer: shower water temp set to 98F. please enter commands one at a time.
me: computer: set house temp to 70F.
computer: house temp set to 70F
~~shower~~
me: computer - shower off
computer: warning - this will change your current hardware settings, which requires admin approval - are you sure you want to do that? Say 'yes' to continue, 'no' to cancel.
me: yes!
~~shower turns off~~

Feb 14, 08 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
John Cline
The new home will be ... finished in muted browns and beiges, said Sheryl Palmer, president and chief executive of Taylor Morrison in North America.

So basically, it's going to look like a futuristic piece of dung?

...coming up next after commercials "Extreme Makeover" wins America over by renovating the House of the Future for a family that were all born without hands.

How does all of this proposed technology actually make life more simple? ...Because it's so hard to walk over to the window and draw the curtains when you put in a DVD?

Feb 14, 08 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
4arch

If you want your house of the furture to look more futuristic I'd suggest living in a more optimistic decade.

Feb 14, 08 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

The future isn't what it used to be.

Feb 14, 08 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
4arch

I have another one...

~~Home of the Future Premium Edition~~
me: Computer! shower on.
computer: *Bing!* It looks like you're taking a shower. Would you like help? Your options are:
- Use the showering wizard.
- Launch automatic loofah system.
- Just take the shower without help.

Feb 14, 08 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

now I can go to sleep!

Feb 14, 08 5:33 pm  · 
 · 

LIG...

I know right. Personally i would rather live in that one. Even the yard surrounding is more wild n green. And my vision of the future has always included pods.

Holz, isn't yours really contemporary? Doesn't seem futuristic. I love the toilet. I imagine that view is the backyard?

BlueScreen of death. Hehehehee

Feb 14, 08 10:26 pm  · 
 · 
Oysters and Trifle

With all the electronic billboards going up, the last thing I want to come home to is being told how to cook my food by an animated paperclip. Or worse, a dog. A dog that reads a book. Backwards. (hope that dog is reading something Japanese.)

Feb 14, 08 10:30 pm  · 
 · 
4arch
It's here and it's ugly!

WARNING: SOME VIEWERS MAY FIND THE LINKED WEBSITE DISTURBING.

Jun 27, 08 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

WTF! Its just a normal house with a crestron system installed! That's not the future, that's not even the present!

Jun 27, 08 12:40 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: