Archinect
anchor

Two weeks...

Is two weeks notice still the standard for letting an employer know you will be leaving? What might be scenarios for giving them more or less time? Thanks!

Feb 7, 08 10:26 am
quizzical

two weeks remains customary in most communities, i think. it's not uncommon for longer notice periods to be offered by the departing employee when there's an important deadline 3-weeks out or when the departing individual carries significant responsibility, such as Project Manager. Senior people are more difficult to replace quickly -- although I have to say, it's almost impossible to replace anybody in two weeks.

most firms will take a very dim view of anything shorter than two weeks --- unless they're simply running out of work and would like to shed payroll dollars as quickly as possible.

depending on your circumstances, I'd advise telling you're employer you're prepared to work the customary 2-week notice period, but that you're also prepared to stay a bit longer, or leave a bit sooner, if they have a preference one way or the other.

I'm always very grateful when I'm approached in that manner by a departing employee. if you taking another job, your new employer should view this as responsible behavior and think more highly of you - even it it means you'll be a little bit slower arriving at their shop.

Feb 7, 08 10:35 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I'd give more time if you have significant responsibilities in the firm, like if you're a project manager or associate with a lot of stuff on your plate. In that case, I think a month would be more appropriate.

The only scenario in which giving less notice is acceptable would be if you're in an absolutely intolerable situation, in which case you'd better plan on leaving within minutes of giving notice. But that should only be a worst-case scenario, like if the boss punches you or something like that. Not an option to be taken lightly.

Feb 7, 08 10:36 am  · 
 · 
Bloopox

You might be interested in this thread:
http://www.archinect.com/forum/threads.php?id=67371_0_42_0_C

Feb 7, 08 10:58 am  · 
 · 
ether

Thanks q and LiG. And thanks Bloopox for that thread link. (I missed it in my search) With my current firm, I am considered fairly 'entry level' so two weeks should suffice.

Feb 7, 08 11:41 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

might also be good to (very slyly) ask around and get a sense of how the company responds to people giving notice. there are some companies i've heard of that if you are not heavily involved with a project might let you go on the spot. probably depends a lot on your relationship with your supervisor, the nature of the office, and how busy things are. it's never easy to give notice. good luck with it.

Feb 7, 08 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
ether

thanks, jafidler. you bring up one reason why i posted the thread. though i have a good relationship with my boss, i just can't afford to be 'laid off on the spot' even for two weeks.

Feb 7, 08 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

make sure that you have enough time to steal some shit from your office before you leave

Feb 7, 08 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

and you people wonder why employers get all "big brotherly" on you !

Feb 7, 08 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

no you don't have to give notice or have notice given to you
maybe if you wanna be nice and get a referral but that is about it

Feb 7, 08 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

ether: if you give two weeks notice in writing, but are laid off on the spot, and the firm does not give you the two weeks' pay as severence, then as far as the Department of Labor is concerned you were fired. In that situation you can file for unemployment (not as much as you would have made per week in the firm, but on the other hand it can now continue for months...)

Since having someone file an unemployment claim will be a lot more expensive to the firm in the long run than paying them the two weeks' (because the amount they have to pay to the state in unemployment insurance for all remaining employees will now increase for the next couple of years) firms don't usually fire people on the spot when they give notice, unless they think you're going to be disruptive, unproductive, or dishonest (i.e. steal things!) in your last couple weeks...

And Antishtenes is correct that you have no legal obligation to give notice. But if you don't you're going to be burning bridges that you may need later.

Feb 7, 08 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
4arch

One reason not to give more than two weeks is that you're often locked out from taking any leave during the notice period. If you get sick, get called up for jury duty, have a family emergency, etc, you won't be paid for any time you take off.

The idea of leaving on the same day the resignation is tendered - even when there is not a situation of distress - seems to be gaining more popularity, at least in some fields like IT. I have mixed feelings about this, but agree with some of the arguments made by those who support this method. They argue that it doesn't make sense to give an employer two weeks when they would not give you the same courtesy if they decided to let you go, which is a very valid point in today's employment environment. They also argue that the impact of a sudden departure on your professional reputation is vastly overstated. This makes a lot of sense to me. If you leave one firm and stay at the new firm ten years, is one abrupt departure ten years ago going to wipe out all that positive experience since? If you worked at the previous firm and were a model employee from start to finish, is your old boss really going to badmouth you all around town because of the way you left? I guess it could happen, especially if you leave the boss in a perticularly sitcky situation, but chances are it won't. The fact that your firm has fired people in the past doesn't keep it from attracting new employees so why should the opposite be true?

All that said, I still don't see a strong reason not to give two weeks. I have done it not as much out of courtesy to the firm I am leaving as in the interest of making sure the projects I'm involved in continue smoothly. I have also done it to keep from burning client, consultant, and contractor bridges.

Feb 7, 08 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
simples

ether...you are not abandoning detroit, are you!?

if your office is slow (let's say, lay-off slow) they might ask you to take any vacation time you have left as well; you might want to check with your next employer if they would be willing to move your start date forward then;

also, from previous experience, and this might be too late for you, most offices appreciate talking to you and being given an opportunity to address your concerns prior to you actually looking elsewhere; if you have an offer in hand, give them the opportunity to counter before just "quitting" ///you don't want them to feel blindsided /// have a letter of resignation ready, or prepared when you meet with your current employer /// good luck and congrats on the new job...

Feb 7, 08 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
simples

[ edit ]...in my last post, substitute "actually looking elsewhere" with "actually moving elsewhere"...[ /edit ]

Feb 7, 08 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical
"...it doesn't make sense to give an employer two weeks when they would not give you the same courtesy if they decided to let you go."

I don't know any employers who would fire somebody and make them leave that same day without providing the terminated employee with at least 2-weeks of severance pay -- unless the termination was "for cause". The idea of severance pay, in lieu of continued work, actually helps the terminated employee because it gives him/her living expenses while also providing the free time to hunt for a new job.

Resigning and getting fired are two entirely different situations ... when people get fired, they're almost always angered by the decision and their continued presence in the firm can do irreparable damage to morale and there's too much opportunity for mischief if they hang around.

This clearly is not a "what's good for the goose is good for the gander" situation ... the comparison is inappropriate, IMHO.

Feb 7, 08 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
ether

Thanks simples, but yes, I am leaving the D. The current employer is just not where I want to be. I've already accepted a job and will be moving in about a month. It's a sad affair but needs to be done. I do appreciate all of your thoughts though and thanks to everyone else for your help and insight!

(speaking of the D, we're going to need to get some 'necter meet ups planned soon!)

Feb 8, 08 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
simples

always sad to see good people go!!! i will be keeping an eye on the date for the next Detroit meet up///

Feb 11, 08 9:19 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: