Archinect
anchor

develop THIS...

SandRoad

Did anyone read the Sebastian Mariscal article in the JAN/FEB Residential Architect? Following that were some other similarly developed projects by Randy Brown and others on the next few pages...

I'm highly intrigued by these approaches... I think as we ALL can become so engrossed in traditional practice, not to mention our own predispositions toward our own self-perceived design greatness, it would seem that developing one's own design represents at leat one way to 'put your money where your mouth is' where our own designs are concernced. And, most importantly a possible path toward greater individual design opportunities and design CONTROL.

It also seems that for those even remotely interested at all in attempting development, the comparisons are inevitably made only with the "everytown" developers that bang out strip malls and huge apartment complexes.

I think these articles make me even more aware that crazy huge is not the only option. A lot of us know small-scale builders that we like...what about some toe-in-the-water small scale development? How small could one go? Build a new house? buy an existing house and add on? Start a new line of storage sheds? Help me out here...

Of course, I'm not really talking about one's own house remodeling projects, or that one's parents are contractors, that kind of stuff... Separate ventures only... Also, of course, as with traditional practice, profit is essential or it can't be done...

Anyone thoughts?

Feb 6, 08 11:29 am
ifYouCanSeeme

"All we have to do is band together, buy the developers out, dissolve them into OUR business; employee them as our financers, and make development a standard part of the profession- "No one builds but Architects!"; eliminate design/build too, for that matter, eliminate all building alternatives and agents. We proceed by placing ourselves as the sole builders and designers of society (from A to Z, affordable housing to zoo land and building scaping; make the goverment have to pay us for buildings they financial)... and let the people choose"

...I didn't catch the article but looked up Randy Brown's design and developemnt, its good stuff

Feb 6, 08 2:55 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: