Archinect
anchor

Digital Resources at YOUR school

nothing_is_everything

Calling all architecture school students/faculty (especially from PUBLIC institutions) :
I am writing a grant for the improvement of digital resources at my school and could use your help in taking an inventory of cad/cam facilities at other top institutions.

Any help in filling in the following categories would be much
appreciated. And, if this type of information interests you, I can post the compiled results upon completion.

This is what I am interested in:

-Laser cutters (# and equip. type):

-3D printers (# and equip. type, starch/plastic/other):

-Large format scanners or digitizers (# and equip. type):

-Routers (# and equip. type, #-axis):

-Other (digital foam cutters, vacuum forming, water jet, other)

Feb 5, 08 8:26 pm
bowling_ball

- nope (well, one in engineering which isn't really available to us normally)

- nope

- one large format scanner, one large format printer (black and white)

- routers yes, unless you mean CNC (then nope)

- none of those, either.

Got a woodshop, though. Heh.

Feb 5, 08 9:39 pm  · 
 · 
nothing_is_everything

I've compiled much of the information, I just need help filling in the holes. # or laser cutters and 3d printers is helpful.

Feb 5, 08 10:41 pm  · 
 · 
grid

-Laser cutters (# and equip. type): 1 - supposed to be getter another

-3D printers (# and equip. type, starch/plastic/other): 3

-Large format scanners or digitizers (# and equip. type): 1 digitizer

-Routers (# and equip. type, #-axis): 2 3-axis cnc

-Other (digital foam cutters, vacuum forming, water jet, other): 1 vacuum former. talk of a water jet coming? nice wood and metal shop.

Feb 5, 08 10:47 pm  · 
 · 
nothing_is_everything

Where you at, grid?

Feb 5, 08 11:47 pm  · 
 · 
bodz11

-Laser cutters (# and equip. type): 2

-3D printers (# and equip. type, starch/plastic/other): 1 starch

-Large format scanners or digitizers (# and equip. type): 1 digitizer, 1 3D scanner

-Routers (# and equip. type, #-axis): 1 3-axis cnc

-Other (digital foam cutters, vacuum forming, water jet, other): 1 vacuum former; great wood and steel shop.

U MICH. Go Blue

Feb 6, 08 8:10 am  · 
 · 

based on those specs, I'm guessing grid's at Sci-Arc

Feb 6, 08 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
PetePeterson

Laser cutters: 3

- 3D printers: 1 starch 1 ABS

- 1 digitizer

- 1 3 axis mill

- 1 vacuum form

- lots of snow but no sleds

Feb 7, 08 10:03 am  · 
 · 
ff33º

I was going to go to CU (Colorado) because I heard about a new Fab center with all kinds of lasers and cnc and shit...then I found out that CU's faculty are retarded and haven't figured out how to use the equipment for like the last years or so ...and whats worse is that they refuse to pull their heads out of their ass long enough to get the right folks in there...so there is this dope ass facility like blocks from my house, on par with the best of schools...and its run by the most retarded school Beauracracy in the nation.

Dont go to CU...they suck.

Feb 7, 08 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
grid

sciarc

we also have nice wood and metal shops

Feb 7, 08 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

I just applied to SCI Arc....MArch2..you go there grid? Do you like it?

Feb 7, 08 8:31 pm  · 
 · 
bodz11

ff330...umich has plenty of former sci-arch staff and grads as profs. plus a great technology section (see above). if u didn't no biggie. um is def on the rise though.

Feb 8, 08 8:29 pm  · 
 · 
flashpan

3D printers are, in my mind, a waste of money and resources for a school. They don't force any rationalization of forms which results in lazy geometry. Stick to routers and laser-cutters. These can act as an analogue to the actual fabrication processes that are at play in making buildings.

Feb 8, 08 8:59 pm  · 
 · 
nothing_is_everything

Pete Peterson -
Do you go to school in Canadia?

Feb 9, 08 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
nothing_is_everything

Also....anyone from UVA, UT Austin, or GSD.....those are my missing links right now

Feb 9, 08 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
nothing_is_everything

flahpan, what do you think about Greg Lynn's recent comment at a lecture..... somthing to the effect that 3d printing is the future - we will be able to 3d print entire buildings

hell.....in the medical world, they are printing organs

Feb 9, 08 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
flashpan

He might be right - I just don't think we'll se it in our lifetimes. Regardless, my point was more about education of architects - 3D printing doesn't provide much resistance to the designer. The process of rationalization required to build a model by hand seems more useful to an architect than just hitting 'print' and dusting off your blob when its done.

However, using CNC machines to assemble (as opposed to print) buildings is really interesting, and already being done in highrise construction - maybe as a natural extension of BIM modeling. Not only would the designer model the component and extract information for fabrication, but also embed instructions for robotic assembly on site.

Feb 9, 08 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
PetePeterson

Yes I do everything in canada

Feb 10, 08 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

grid,

is the small cabinet sandblaster still in the shop?...i might have to trek there sometime this week and sandblast some car parts. wanna make sure it's still there before i roll...

Mar 10, 08 4:01 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: