Archinect
anchor

Freelance (pre-licensure) in LA?

ff33º

If I were to move to LA, not being registered or licensed, could I possibly find some Residential Design Work..or should I plan one getting a job with a firm? Currently, I am officially "pre-licensure" in Colorado and doing residential and light commercial with enough work before I finish up in GSchool.

I want to move.

(...let me guess, I should search the thread,... or try craigslist, or google, or maybe the Movie-Extra business , blah blah...)

Feb 3, 08 1:18 am
WonderK

I mean, there's plenty of work out here. Please do move. But I don't know how you just "get" residential design work if you're not affiliated with a firm or one of the schools in some way. Everyone is very inter-connected so if you don't have an "in" already, your best bet for finding work is probably with a firm to start. That's my impression anyway, and I've not been here too long myself.

Feb 3, 08 1:39 am  · 
 · 
garpike

It's official. I am pre-licensure too! So is my mom.

Feb 3, 08 2:59 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Ha! garpike. I am too I guess.

Feb 3, 08 5:05 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

my cat is prelicensure as well...although she likes eames' work and wants to move her catbox to l.a.

Feb 3, 08 9:45 am  · 
 · 
ff33º

i hate you guys.

Feb 3, 08 9:49 am  · 
 · 
outthere

Well how did you get work around the CO area? I mean its probably the same concept.

I would say you would def. have to start at a firm atleast for a little while before you build up some contacts around the surrounding area

Feb 3, 08 11:50 am  · 
 · 
ff33º

Craigslist, Being Freinds with multiple Contractors, and other Architects, usually...and i do attract a lot of wingnut-clients, being independent.

I assume it would be similar as well. I just thought I would throw it out there and gauge my prospects ....by soliciting wisdom from old time experts like Wonderk , garpike , or vado.

Of course , getting said JOB probably would be smartest. ... I have just gotten so comfortable with my entrepreneurial rhythm,..yeah all my work is word of mouth now.

Feb 3, 08 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

You could do a spec house to start. It would be a little rough, but it's a nice business card.

Feb 3, 08 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

Los Angeles is very much a social network sort of place. for the residential stuff, most of the custom architecture is word of mouth and who you know (as witnessed in a previous lifetime). So packing up and moving to the city of angeles is a great thing to do, just don't expect a residential practice to start flying immediately. so focus on landing at a firm, and start networking.

good luck (and save a few commissions for me!)

Feb 3, 08 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

LA is a damn tough city to work in in terms of dealing with the building department. You may want to work with someone who knows the system until you get familiar with it

Feb 4, 08 12:04 am  · 
 · 
ff33º

Duly noted.

Here in Denver,I currently do each project starting with initial P&Z meetings , and it is usually straight forward form there on out. Denver, and surrounding bldg dept. can be particular at times, but mostly it is set up as an approachable system. (we have alot of homeowner permits here as well)

I am all taking these comments to heart and if i ever can get to LA, i'll probably just plan on getting a job. Craigslist seems to have a lot.

I just hope I can get on with an outfit that doing some half way decent work,...using REVIT and RHINO preferably.
Admittedly, the real issues here is that I have two diseases:

AutoCADophobia and MediocreArchiphobia.

Feb 4, 08 10:25 am  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

who doesn't tack on Vistaaphobia

Feb 4, 08 11:43 am  · 
 · 
ff33º

indeed, I have a since developed a nasty case of vistaphobia....

I keep hearing rumors that linux users are the most Hardcore...I wonder if I am hardcore enough for that yet.

Feb 4, 08 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
SandRoad

ff33... what types of freelance projects are you currently doing?

Feb 4, 08 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

Not proud of it all, but alot of the projects I get here in CO are things like basic, single family houses, renovations, or projects requiring minor Architectural Services. I dabble in Structural ( I do light struct. for contractors). Right now i am working on a Large Ski Resort Home , a Pool House, an aeronautics modeling project, and a weird Laboratory.

I don't claim to be holding up the fort on the "Modern" front, but I am not an Architect yet, so I take what i can get.

Feb 4, 08 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

ff33o

stay in CO...

Feb 4, 08 7:33 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

ok fine,

if LA doesn't want me, then that is just fine!

Besides, I dunno shit about designing for earthquakes or ,zoning for gang riots, or foundation requirements on volcanoes and shit anyway...
>;-(

.....but if I end up getting into SCI Arc,somehow, then will you at least show me the cool bars in town. :-)

Feb 4, 08 7:55 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

SCI Arc is the way to go!!!!!!!!1

LA is a tough city. If you are doing cool shit in CO, I would stay...

Feb 4, 08 11:16 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

Thanks for the advice, mdler...that means alot...

well come March , there will be some lettters in the mail. We'll see if I get the opportunity to come out and fuck with you guys. See if I get all shot up downtown this Fall during the earthquake , riot ,and volcano season of LA.

(er, ...Maybe I should quit reading Mike Davis for a while, he is making me all apocalyptical lately.)

Feb 4, 08 11:59 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

there inst anyone in downtown LA to shoot you...

Feb 5, 08 7:52 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

quit reading mike davis and start listenin to MiLeS davis!!!

Feb 5, 08 10:38 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

now I suppose you will tell there are no Volcanoes either.

This is a sweet Miles video though! I dig it.

SO What!

..thats is good title...to ..a good philosphy for Archinect threads as well.

Feb 5, 08 11:48 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: