Archinect
anchor

Like losing an old friend :'(

WonderK

I'm so sad. My mom just called and told me that Old St. George's, a desanctified church up the street from U of Cincy, burnt down tonight.

http://www.wcpo.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=1bab0cbd-a4f0-4155-9a26-37da36e99c5e&rss=703

It was a beautiful old space, and I secretly liked it even better because it wasn't used for church services anymore. I had delusions of maybe having a wedding there someday. Guess I didn't work fast enough :o(

Feb 1, 08 8:50 pm
WonderK

Feb 1, 08 8:51 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Wow, what a shame... I'm sure I've been past that church many times, but I can't quite place where it is in relation to the rest of the UC campus.

The article makes it sound like only the steeples burned, and that the rest of the structure is still intact. If so, maybe it can be restored. Who uses the building now?

It's certainly a handsome church... It reminds me a bit of St. Michael's Church in Chicago's Old Town neighborhood, at least on the outside.

Feb 1, 08 8:59 pm  · 
 · 
lineman

it is in the southwest corner of the campus near the Mad frog, Right behind Edwards.

Kind of interesting that it burns down being the most sought after piece of real estate in that area.....

Feb 1, 08 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
lineman

South east corner

Feb 1, 08 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Okay, I know the church.

It does a seem a bit odd that each of the two steeples burns down, and yet the main structure is apparently undamaged, as if two separate fires were started. Although I suppose the flying embers from one steeple could have set the other one on fire.

Feb 1, 08 10:05 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

More in-depth coverage on Cincinnati.com.

From that article, it appears the fire started in the west steeple and spread via an internal catwalk to the east steeple. Firefighters were successfully able to prevent the fire from spreading to the rest of the church.

A sad situation, but it could have been much worse. Hopefully the steeples will be rebuilt.

Feb 1, 08 10:12 pm  · 
 · 

This picture is so scary!

I hope they can rebuild the steeples, if the main structure is in tact. They have done such a number on that neighborhood......

For those of you who aren't familiar, a little bit of background:

This is one of the last remaining historical structures on a largely commercial strip just south of UC's main campus. It sits on Calhoun Street, and many of the buildings just west of it between Calhoun and a parallel street called McMillan were torn down in the name of development. There was supposed to be a 12-13 story condo tower built in this strip with accompanying retail and it was supposed to be finished in......oh, 2006. Instead there has been nothing but a grassy field sitting empty on this land for about 3 years now. I've always thought that Old St. George's just kind of sat at the end of the street, surveying all of the changes through the years. Is it weird to personify buildings? Because this one's pain brought a tear to my eye....

Feb 2, 08 12:10 am  · 
 · 
waterhouse

Was that the T-shirt store?

Feb 2, 08 12:34 am  · 
 · 

No. Urban Outfitters is in another, smaller desanctified church across the street. One that wasn't on the National Register of Historic Places, which I guess is why they were able to turn it into an Urban Outfitters.

Feb 2, 08 1:22 am  · 
 · 
****melt

Yeah a friend texting me last evening as it was happening so My friends and I turned on the TV to see it. Made me very sad indeed as it's the second historical builing in my 'hood that has gone up in flames in the past year. The other one completely burned to the ground though, so I am quite that this one didn't.

Anyway, for all those conspiracy theorists, it's also very suspect as there's been some controversy going on with the fate of the old church for a while. Apparently the city/university has been wanting to develop the real estate for quite some time, but the locals have been fighting tooth and nail to keep it. I know it's on the list of buildings of historical significance but I'm not sure if it's actually reached the list of historical sites yet. :o(

Feb 2, 08 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

That's a lot of copper lost ! Are there any ramifications to the burning of copper -- like noxious emissions, etc ?

What a shame. We lost a nice old wooden church here in San Francisco more than ten years ago. It had an enormous U-shaped balcony and nice spires, as I recall. The fire was set by a homeless person or persons, accidentally.

Feb 2, 08 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Here's a photo I took today of the damage.

To see more phtotos of the old church, go here.

Feb 3, 08 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

that actually looks kind of cool

Feb 4, 08 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

evilp....I kind of agree. Maybe they should leave it like that, assuming there are no structural concerns.

Better yet, perhaps they could shoot holograms of what the tops of the spires used to look like up from what remains! Sweet.

Feb 4, 08 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

i think that the school should tear down the school and build some shitty ass dorms...would be par for course

also, what ever did happen to the McMillian corridor project???

I like how Arbys has been there for the past 10yrs, all boarded up...

Feb 4, 08 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

btw, I goy shitfaced with a certain DAAP architecture professor in that church

Feb 4, 08 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Did your ass hurt when it was done?

Feb 4, 08 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

I like WonderK's idea. I still wish the "hologram" of the WTC had been made a permanent lightshow. . .

Feb 4, 08 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

evil

it did involve a dildo, but my ass wasnt harmed

Feb 4, 08 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Be weary of getting drunk in a catholic church

Feb 4, 08 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

LOL! As I was taking photos yesterday, I overheard two guys, whom I assume are involved with the church some way, discussing the main concern of the expansion and contraction of the materials and the wet weather approaching.

I agree, it does look kinda cool. I'm still sad though at the damage. Also, as I was driving home I heard they've got to cranes on-site now working to secure it structurally. If the weather weren't so crappy I'd meander up the hill to see the activity first hand. Unfortunately I do not have enough motivation to do so. Perhaps tomorrow.

Feb 4, 08 6:53 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

The symmetry of the fire, and the resulting damage, is quite odd, isn't it ?

Feb 4, 08 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

that's rebuildable

this time use Strata, it's fire proof

Feb 4, 08 7:59 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: