Archinect
anchor

What Would It Take...?

Taylor at Encompass

I have been in Architectural Staffing for a number of years, and around the architectural industry my whole life. It is obvious that the architects of today have different deciding factors when it comes to choosing a firm and making a move.

What are some of the key factors of another opportunity that would spur your interest? Is a percentage of salary increase the determining factor? Maybe commute or career path? Is it title, workload, or culture?

What are the key factors?

Jan 30, 08 4:43 pm

if you've been around us you probably know - we're not even sure ourselves what we really want.

will we move for money? maybe.
will we move for a kickin' office culture? maybe.
would i move if i didn't have to commute and could walk to work? mmm - probably...

i don't think you'll find much consensus BUT...

if i were to define a dream job it would be that i could work on star-quality work, have a good amount of design input/discretion, be paid a fair market rate, and live in a community of my choice (i.e., not necessarily east coast, west coast). ...and not have to commute to the 'burbs.

Jan 30, 08 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

i would say it totally depends on what stage of your career you are in. i'm an intern finishing up idp. i made my last move about six months ago. at the time, i left: a.) because i could walk to work; b.) to see how another office practiced (w/ additional design responsibilities in a more design-oriented firm); c.) a modest increase in pay (was not really that important, but nice).

in retrospect, i think i probably should have put more emphasis on finding an office that i could learn from under experienced mentors. as an intern, the types of experiences you will gain from a job is in my opinion the most important aspect to look for in an office.

Jan 30, 08 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
ifYouCanSeeme

Well, I’m conspicuously new at that but being as though you offered, “architects of today”; I’ll offer something for the newly emerging professionals:

As an right now, my career and personal objectives:

Design input opportunity
Creative, explorative, brave design led office philosophy, among other elements
Cultured work and residential office location; set or at least transitioning into
Pedestrian-okay work and residential office location that makes me want to walk
Varied mix of office tasks
Money!
Professional mobility/ Promotional opportunity
Successful office; set or at least transitioning to
Architecturally appreciated/inspiring location

I think, in that order as well

Jan 31, 08 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

$$$ and a 401K

40hrs a week

Feb 1, 08 12:01 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: