Archinect
anchor

work and school

shaner

in your opinions. would it be possible for me to keep working as an intermediate architectural technologist and attend university full time to get my barch then eventually my march?

i would go from 40 to 16 hrs a week) but id have to be a min 16 hrs to keep my job

any thoughts??

Jan 30, 08 1:03 pm
gonad

If you manage your time, you wouldn't believe how much you could accomplish. I know this first experience.
I am married, have a kid, go to school full time in a different state (3 hr commute each way), work full time, and still maintain an exceptionally high gpa.
who needs to sleep anyway?

Jan 30, 08 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

16 hours a week should be okay as long as your employer is willing to be flexible with you, and you're probably be making better money than you would if you were working some menial work-study job on campus.

It would be ideal not to work at all during school, but I realize that isn't always possible. More than 16 hours a week would be pushing it, though.

Jan 30, 08 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

I worked freelance all through my Undergrad, I think what gonadsxe is correct, ...but personally, I wasn't like a super man in school. I could have done much better in studio, etc , and as a result , had a better time trying to get into MArch1, but instead I worked a lot and it is a sort of trade...experience for GPA...IMHO

Jan 30, 08 1:55 pm  · 
 · 

i did between 15-20 hrs a week in undergrad (varied week to week). it not only works, it forces a sort of discipline on you that can work in your favor.

Jan 30, 08 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
Third Conchord

I was working around 15-18 hrs a week as an intern in a local office while in school. The nice thing that I found was that I was able to get a jump ahead on my IDP hours and fell alittle more well-rounded in terms of finding a middle ground between the more technical/administrative aspects of an office compared to the more theoretical or conceptual views of many architecture programs.

Jan 30, 08 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
gonad

I thought you had to work a min of 20hrs a week for it to count towards your IDP?

Its a great thing tackling so many things at once, I'm sure it gives you an advantage out of school (being use to multi tasking, etc)

Jan 30, 08 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

I'm doin' that this semester, I'm not sure if i'm going to survive.

Put it this way, I was my time budgeted to the minute, outlook is my new best friend.

Jan 30, 08 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

I was? I mean I have.

Jan 30, 08 3:23 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i did 12 hours/week in undergrad and 20 hours/week in grad school. the key is not to waste any time. i lived a very short walk to my work location (about 5 minutes) and from there had a 30-40 minute bus ride to studio which was actually the perfect length to squeeze in some quality reading.

during undergrad, i thought that the 12 hours was insane but i managed to work even more efficiently during grad school and was able to manage the 20 hours/week throughout, even during finals week. my job was mostly just cad drafting in the low pressure environment of the univesity's own arch/engineering office and really only required about 15% of my brain activity to actually maintain competency...it was almost as good as sleeping. i could daydream about studio designs if i really needed to and then when i arrived to studio i could hit the ground running in terms of production. gpa was respectable but i wasn't really motivated by that anyways. it can be done but it will require a rigorous commitment on your own part.

Jan 30, 08 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

Yes, you do need to work a minimum of 20 hours per week, for no less than 6 consecutive months, to count it toward IDP. (Or a minimum of 35 hours per week, for no less than 8 consecutive weeks, for full time.)

But: you can't start counting IDP units until after your 3rd year of a B.Arch program, 3rd year of a non-professional 4-year architecture undergrad program, or 1st year of a first-professional M.Arch program. Since shaner is talking about starting a B.Arch program he's probably not in a position to start counting IDP units anyway.

I worked about 20 hours per week all through undergrad, and it was difficult but with good time management it worked out. It was more difficult in grad school, and easier (and more lucrative) at that point to look for teaching assistantships and fellowships that were on campus and had more flexible timing.

Jan 30, 08 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
difficultfix

I work 30hrs a week, Fulltime student, B average student...

Jan 30, 08 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
difficultfix

And I am a Father of a 1 year and half boy..

Jan 30, 08 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
Darren Hodgson

I'm in the UK doing the last year of my part 1 (BA Arch) and working a 40 hour week with a hour morning and night commute at the same time. It's damn hard but if you have the drive and the determination you can achieve a hell of a lot. Although I do still live at home with the folks and currently don't have a gf, so slightly easier than some people. I'm looking at a first, but what you get out of it depends on how much you want to put in.

I find working at the same time as studying can be a huge advantage, you've got the experience of your colleagues to lean upon if needed, you've sometimes got the facilities to aid your study and I find it actually helps you to focus and plan a hell of a lot better when you know what your time limitations are.

Jan 30, 08 6:13 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

tweed

you dont get your work done ;)

Jan 30, 08 6:43 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

you also have people building your models for you...and painting your apartment for you...

Jan 30, 08 6:43 pm  · 
 · 

Isn't anyone going to advise this person _not_ to work elsewhere during arch. school? As some have hinted, you might not be able to give your work a satisfying amount of attention if your schedule is divided.

You might want to think about looking for something on campus, or even in the arch. school itself. Get to know the people at the library, the woodshop, the computer lab, etc. and find out if they need help. You get zero commute, flexible hours, and even some perks like afterhours access!

Jan 30, 08 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

working in the wood shop is lame. you'll spend too much time with other arch students.

if you're going to go the work-study route, i'd suggest getting a position in the office of the university president or maybe even the dean's office over at the law school. never to early to start networking.

Jan 30, 08 8:03 pm  · 
 · 
shaner

thanks all..

maybe i should elaborate. im going to see if my employer will contribute to my education fund. im hoping for about 50% from them and therefore ill have to work for them during school.

also. i work and live in windsor ontario. and im interested in attending Lawrence Tech University because they will give me about 2 years of credit for my 3 year diploma from St Clair College. Its about a 35 - 40 min drive into the USA. So living and working on campus isnt really an option.

So now that you know more.. Does this seem workable to you?

thanks heaps for all your suggestions

Jan 30, 08 8:13 pm  · 
 · 

The questions this hinges on to me are: do you have to work regular (9-5ish) hours? Do you have to work at the office?

I managed 16-20 hours a week throughout 3 years of undergrad, but mostly this was because working until 9pm, working on a saturday morning, and even occasionally working from home were all tolerated and even encouraged. It was expected that I would just write on the office calendar when finals were, and have reduced hours the week prior to that. So it can be done, but would become vastly more difficult if you have to try and fit into standard office hours.

p.s.- this obviously, can only be accomplished and acceptable to the firm if you are excellent at what you do. If you slack off or need your hand held, then you're just not going to be offered that kind of situation. But if you *are* excellent, then your firm might even come to enjoy the little perks that come with showing up on a monday morning to magically completed presentations or a drastically reduced pile of redlines.

Jan 30, 08 8:22 pm  · 
 · 
shaner

thanks rationlist. that is something i will talk to my boss about. maybe i can connect to the office from home and take care of some of my work like that. im sure it will be ok with my boss.

we usually work typical hours but im sure ill be able to swing something else

Jan 30, 08 8:43 pm  · 
 · 
_MLD

Larry Tech is definitely doable for your situation. The program have lost some good profs since I've graduated, it isn't as solid as it use to be, but there's always a chance for the faculty to rebuild itself. it's a good curriculum and it accommodates the older and/or working student very well.

I know cause i did it, too... just not the canada thing... i there were classmates that did commute from the other side of the river. by my third year i was at 30 hrs/wk going fulltime, and i feel i managed fairly well. If you'd like i could direct to a couple of faculty members that could help you with any other questions about the program.

sevensixfive,
not everyone is fortunate to score the full ride tuition, have free rent, or have there parents foot the tuition bill, no kids to feed, elders to take care of... working doesn't make anyone less of a student or architect, many of have to make the best of life's situations.

Feb 1, 08 1:09 pm  · 
 · 

tsquared - thanks for the assumptions and the attitude. If you'd read what I wrote, you'd know I wasn't recommending not working, I was recommending not working off campus. I've done both, because I had to pay my own rent and I took out loans for tuition in school.

Feb 1, 08 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
_MLD

*flip*
765...my bad

I'm aces when it comes to flying off the handle, yet i can always admit when I'm wrong, too... now 'scuse me while i hide in shame.

Feb 1, 08 1:38 pm  · 
 · 

No stress, we've all done it! :D

Feb 1, 08 2:04 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: