Archinect
anchor

who knew catholic university even had architecture...

Arzo

didn't everyone? led by the very-famous peter blake for a while...

Jan 29, 08 9:44 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

if you like beaux-arts eductation and classical architecture, CU is the place...

Jan 29, 08 10:20 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I've always thought "ambo" is a funny word. Sounds like a prop a clown would use, not a priest.

Jan 29, 08 10:23 am  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

isn't that Blasphemy aren't engineers scientists?

Jan 29, 08 10:25 am  · 
 · 
cadalyst

I appled there :shrug:

Jan 29, 08 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
cadalyst

correction, i did not apple there, i applied there...

Jan 29, 08 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I think they're fairly comparable to Notre Dame in terms of their design ethos. All classical, all the time.

Not that that's necessarily a bad thing... IIRC, Walter Gropius had a solid background in classical architecture.

Jan 29, 08 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
Medit

most architects in the 1920s probably had a solid bakground in classical architecture. And where's the merit in Gropius, in his background or in what he -and some others- started?

where's the merit in being a classical architect nowadays? all you have to do is repeat the same 1000+ y.o. formulas here and there, same axes, same capitals, same symmetries... all that's new is that you'll do it with some plastic panels or whatever instead of stones

Jan 29, 08 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i'm not at all familiar with the catholic university architecture program, but i think i could see the value is having such an education. many of the early modernists were trained in the classics and they produced plenty of nice modern designs.

additionally, there is a signficant amount of built work in classical/traditional/old fashion styles and any practicing architect will likely uncounter it eventually in a rehab, expansion, fit-out, etc.

Jan 29, 08 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
uhhhhh

not true. http://architecture.cua.edu/studentwork/

the oldest professors there are die-hard modernists and that's as far back as it goes. it's all about the CAD-CAM / rapid prototyping bit there now.

Jan 29, 08 4:46 pm  · 
 · 

hmm, curious as to what role religion actually plays in the school. any CUA students posting?

Jan 29, 08 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
raj

i am a prof at CUA.
as "uhhh" said it is quite different of a program than ND. it is a very much a program focused on NOW...

in fact our version of "religious" architecture is more closely aligned with the ideas of cultural/sacred...which was recently published in
architectural record 2

i have been quite impressed with the program and hope you all start to hear more about it! hopefully there are students and alumni that are on this forum.

Jan 29, 08 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
uhhhhh

i would say the biggest catholic influence there is the heavy drinking.

and much of the tenured faculty is jewish.

Jan 29, 08 6:22 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

I believe that Craig Konyk did his architecture education at Catholic. I've never really thought of him as a beaux-arts and classical architecture enthusiast.

Jan 30, 08 12:36 pm  · 
 · 

Actually their Spirit of Place/Spirit od Design focus looks excellent.

I posted a news item about it recently

[url=http://archinect.com/news/article.php?id=69679_0_24_0_Clink[/url]

Jan 30, 08 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
PodZilla

I applied there and got in, was seriously considering it until i saw their computer 'requirement' ... they didn't have one. All the students were crammed into one tiny computer lab in the arch building, lined up to use machines. This was 4 years ago, and maybe things have changed, but it was a major part of my decision to end up at NJIT. There is a firmly established computer program, with a set requirement for all incoming freshmen, as well as a well organized printroom, model shop with laser cutters, FabLab with 3d printing and cnc milling capabilities, and the list goes on. (not to mention the awesome lineup of software that we get to use essentially for free on all of our computers)

Jan 30, 08 3:06 pm  · 
 · 

Woops

link

Jan 30, 08 4:43 pm  · 
 · 

funny thought someone would of said something about the priest with his arm on the girl. Sigh and I'm catholic...liberal

Jan 31, 08 1:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: