Archinect
anchor

Yale or Taubman?

OoohnooO

Hi everyone I posted earlier on which school would be preferred to apply to? I desire going to the Yale SOA because it is different from what I grew up with here in metro Detroit. 

To add on I am getting my BA degree in a non-architectural study (Philosophy major, Finance minor) from Michigan. I have not gone around Taubman and asked those who like it and certain aspects of it's 3 year program yet. I also want Yale because it is a Ivy league school but they also offer a dual M.arch w/MBA.

Suggestions anyone?

Apr 1, 13 1:50 pm
OneLostArchitect

ann arbor is beautiful 

Apr 1, 13 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
OoohnooO

@oneLOSTarchitect

It is, that's why I love it so much. Though I graduate from Michigan later this year and after growing up in Dull metro-Detroit my whole life I do want to leave the state for good. I just do not know how a 3 year M.Arch from Taubman compares to Yale, Princeton, UCLA etc. Which is why I am asking around who would prefer going to Yale or Michigan? Even I am almost done with undergrad at UMich. 

More opinions/impressions with either or please?

Apr 1, 13 7:15 pm  · 
 · 
observant

You've got U of M at an in-state price for a M.Arch. and you'd consider plunking out those bucks for 3 years at Yale?  I'd go to Michigan.  Also, forget the MBA for now ... or forever.  The 3 year M.Arch. will keep you plenty busy.  You can leave metro Detroit afterward.  You can also get the MBA at night afterward if you still have your heart set on it.  Few people are lucky to have the best architecture schools in state ... and public. 

Apr 1, 13 7:26 pm  · 
 · 

For better or worse, for what it's worth, North Campus is kind of the same thing as a totally different city!  As the last person said the M.Arch, especially as a 3-year student, will keep you plenty busy.  If you're worried about a sort of small-town-induced myopia, be proactive about siting your projects outside of southeast Michigan, the Midwest, or even the U.S.; broaden your research horizons, and that will take you farther intellectually than just relocating to New Haven.

If you're interested in upping your 'employability' factor, you can take a real estate certification while finishing your M.Arch.  One of my cohort did this and found the results very satisfactory.  I'd be happy to put you in contact if that were helpful.  You could also do a dual degree with Urban Planning, but even though that program is well established, from your description I'm not sure that's the kind of thing you're looking for.

Yale is "Ivy League", but UMich's graduate architecture program is consistently rated one of the best in the world.  It's brand-name education but, as observant points out, at an off-brand price.  Don't discount something just because it's convenient!  And in my opinion, few programs get the non-architecture track as right as Michigan does.  They really do an amazing job of bringing a group of people who know very little about graphic communication, building systems, or architecture theory, and turning them into some of the most articulate and diverse thinkers in academia and practice.

I know I sound biased, but as I come to the end of my own M.Arch., I've been reflecting a lot on the experience, and I have to say that it has been an overwhelmingly positive one. I did apply to Yale, but elected not to go; and for me I think that was the best decision I could possibly have made.

Best of luck to you in your choice!

Cheers,

Jess

Apr 8, 13 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
xxxxxx

@lanceyatooma: I am looking at somewhat of a similar situation, because I too am from michigan and am looking at taubman for my masters in arch, however, seeing that this past year I have not paid any taxes technically in the state of michigan....I wanted to get your insight as to how tough it is to fight for in-state residency? I'm a bit weary after reading the details. It seems difficult. Any insights?! Experience?

Apr 10, 13 11:30 pm  · 
 · 
observant

And in my opinion, few programs get the non-architecture track as right as Michigan does.  They really do an amazing job of bringing a group of people who know very little about graphic communication, building systems, or architecture theory, and turning them into some of the most articulate and diverse thinkers in academia and practice.

That's an impressive testimony, especially about the non-architecture incoming class.  In that time frame, you can't afford too many duds, either on the faculty, especially in design and theory, or in the admitted class.  We had both at my program ... don't get me started.  Again, one is responsible for their own education, but if there are good raw materials (the students) and good resources (the professors), then it makes for  a better outcome.  I was real interested in UMich for 3G back in the day.

Apr 11, 13 1:33 am  · 
 · 
OoohnooO

I agree with the recent posts, thanks for the input everbody. I really appreciate it, I still have plenty of time to make a decision on either Yale, Michigan or UCLA. IT would be better for me to go to Michigan since I can pay the in state tuition. 

@jessica No I am not looking for the Urban Planning degree though. But I still need to take a trip to North Campus. I actually intend to do it at end of finals.

Apr 11, 13 5:40 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: