Did Bossman come from someplace warm?

Feb 7, 09 2:04 am  · 
 · 
2step

Street crime is up in Chicago

Feb 8, 09 12:28 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

tell me about it. i arrived over labor day, finally found a job in november. but they just cut my time by half.

Feb 8, 09 9:30 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

man that aia chicago job board is gathering dust.

Feb 8, 09 11:18 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Mass-transit 'doomsday' looms yet again
RTA projects huge tax-revenue shortfalls for CTA, Metra and Pace

The total estimated CTA shortfall—$213 million—dwarfs the $158 million deficit the CTA faced in its 2008 budget until state lawmakers and Chicago aldermen raised taxes dedicated to transit in 2008, averting a partial shutdown of the agency.

This time, the new numbers would basically shut down the system if the General Assembly or the RTA failed to provide a solution, CTA officials said.

Hmmmm, $52 billion in stimulus floating around out there.....

[url=http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/autocorner/chi-getting-around-16-feb16,0,5244322.column
]crib[/url]

Feb 16, 09 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Seriously archinect - the link thing sucks ass

Feb 16, 09 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

I read that Metra's ride generated revenue was up some 19% last year. Maybe Metra should be the new model.

Feb 16, 09 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
wrecking ball

metra needs to run express trains later than 6ish. that seriously blows and only works for secretaries.

Feb 16, 09 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
postal

metra had to have been up with gas prices doubling and traffic always getting worse. metra has the luxury of being able to almost exclusively serve commuters. they also have 3 tracks in most cases, something the CTA needs dearly.

CTA & Pace are inefficient on principal. It almost has to be thought about as a welfare service. and as such, it's kept up like a welfare service.

i just got back from Hong Kong. Incredible system they have out there. But it's an entirely different culture on an entirely different scale.

Feb 16, 09 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Its amazing to me that when they built the Chunnel they used a digger made in Chicago for boring the deep tunnels TARP program. Then I heard it was used in asia - Maybe Hong Kong? Anyways, if we had this thing, why the hell didnt we use it here to make some much needed express tunnels? WTF WTF

Feb 16, 09 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
Peter Normand

I blame NIMBY

Feb 16, 09 6:57 pm  · 
 · 
blah

Evil,

We're digging through muck. It's all cut and cover unless you're digging down 100' feet or so.

Feb 16, 09 8:02 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Its muck downtown but then hardpan clay and sand with boulders; different cutter heads too. The digger shoud go easier through the soft soils so even better!!

Feb 16, 09 8:07 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Im trying to find info on the "moles" used in TARP. I know Kenny Construction was on it - anyone know anyone there who may know where they went?

Feb 16, 09 8:14 pm  · 
 · 
2step

Blair Kamin's blog is reviewing the Clare at Water Tower Place, a new tower in the Gold Coast by Loyla's Downtown campus. It's a Ralph Johnson but is it a good Ralph Johnson?

skyline

[img]
]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3413/3297342611_9474c2f5bf.jpg[/img]

Feb 21, 09 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
2step

Feb 21, 09 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
zahoffman

I like it. I haven't been over there to see it in person but I like the part to hole relationship that is articulated on the "front" (first picture). The folded "back" isn't so bad either and I am interested in how well it will function as a senior center.

Feb 21, 09 11:14 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

What do you guys think of SONO; besides the absurd so prefix that was populary trendy about 5 years ago it always seems out of place to me in the near north industrial / nightclub / shopping mall / manufacturing mix up that is weed st. This pic gives it a good light.

Feb 22, 09 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Is anyone living in it?^^^ or is it a fatality of the credit meltdown?

Feb 22, 09 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
TedTedTed

i am not sure what the status of it is. i found it kind of strange when coming into downtown on the kennedy and seeing this glass tower sticking up from an area that was so low. late last september (as the credit meltdown was unfolding) i was riding around over by it and was looking around at the base, but it looked like it was still under construction (interiors at least). it kind of made me wonder if we were about to see the south loopification of the near north side where high rises were going to start popping up around there. while i wasn't around when the south loop starting rising, i can imagine it must have been similar where you saw a high rise come up out of nowhere, then another, and another...

Feb 22, 09 8:52 pm  · 
 · 
PsyArch

Hello Chicago. London calling.

Arrive late Wednesday. All day meeting on Thursday. Flying out Friday evening. I don't know anyone in Chicago.

I see that the Art Inuit is free this February, and there are few things I like more than ambling round Arts like a native on a weekday.

If it didn't look like being cold and wet I'd wander those precious hours outside with my trusty friend the camera, enjoying the contact with the asphalt and the cheery gloom emanating from the manic grins of mortgage defaulters walking the city while pretending to be at work.

Is anyone up early on Friday with nothing better to do?

Because I'm not local we can agree that after 10am, drinking is OK.

Feb 23, 09 6:18 pm  · 
 · 
PsyArch

Or is this Cecil Balmond installation worth the trip?

Feb 23, 09 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

If your at the Art Institute the Spertus is very close by and the Balmond is about a 10 minute cab drive away in the Gold Coast. You never know what the weather is going to be here, it could be snowing or sunshine warm or cold. Its a roll of the dice every day. If you were interested in a Thursday night Archinect pub meet up I'm sure some local archinectors would be happy to meet an international 'nector of mystery somewhere for a pint or 2 or 3

Feb 23, 09 7:48 pm  · 
 · 
blah

I'd go see the installation. Have you read Balmond's book?

Feb 23, 09 8:08 pm  · 
 · 
PsyArch

I have read Balmond's books, kind of. I have a copy of Number 9, though it's at about number 3 in the been-waiting-a-while-to-be-read pile. Informal was pure joy, and Elements was utter drivel. Still, he was born other than an author.

For Thursday, I must check the diary and will holler here.

Spertus' building looks interesting for sure, and walkable from where I'll be.

Feb 23, 09 9:10 pm  · 
 · 
blah

Thursday could work. Email Evil and have him email me.

Cheers!

Feb 23, 09 10:20 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

I'd go see the Balmond exhibit except I'm at work all day Friday. Maybe I could escape for an hour or 2 as well.

Feb 23, 09 11:11 pm  · 
 · 
blah

Which day do you want to go?

Feb 24, 09 6:34 am  · 
 · 
blah

A visit to Frontera Grill would be in order!

Feb 24, 09 6:41 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Anyone else interested in a Thursday after work meet up to welcome Psyarch to town?

Feb 24, 09 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
PsyArch

Thursday I'm there.

Cross-cultural fertilisation.

non-GM of course.

Feb 24, 09 9:27 pm  · 
 · 
PsyArch

And any takers for the Balmond @ Graham Foundation, Friday lunchtime?

Feb 24, 09 9:28 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Anyone? Beuhler? Beuhler?

Feb 24, 09 9:57 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

westside is the bestside

Anyone still up for a meet up after work? Downtown?

Feb 25, 09 10:05 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Ok so Publican 6:30pm it is. Im in Makes in Psy Archs in at 7pm; Anyone else? Are you all dead now? Bossman, Letdown, Postal? Hello?

Feb 26, 09 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

not for me... sorry... sweet picture though

Feb 26, 09 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

At least your alive, I was getting worried all the Chitown archinectors disappeared

Feb 26, 09 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

hahaha...yeah... alive... just mid competition so not 'nectin much... dont worry though, i will soon return to challenge your increasingly unbridled conservatism

Feb 26, 09 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

It has begun to flow; I might start my own AM radio show

Feb 26, 09 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

youre gettin close...

Feb 26, 09 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

ah man.....

rest in peace Stormin' Norm... you will be missed... with intensitay

Feb 26, 09 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
postal

sorry, missed ya guys... knee deep in bulletin madness...

please take these as a sign of my...whatever...

Feb 26, 09 9:42 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Good time tonight. Psyarch you are one interesting fellow. World traveler extraordinaire. Great tales of Dubai and London and working with the starchitects' buildings. Hope to see you again at the Tall Buildings council in the fall.

Postal - what is that?

Feb 27, 09 2:20 am  · 
 · 
postal

it's the jobsite pic of the day! a supercomputer facility for Argonne Nat Labs, out near Darien. killing me slowly for over a year now.

i think acousitical deck has some sweet filter properties (the deck in the pic above will certainly be covered with insulation, etc. and lose it's luminous quailty) it could be like a poor man's DeYoung or Jahn perf metal screen.

Feb 27, 09 8:40 am  · 
 · 
blah

Who's the Architect?

Feb 27, 09 9:10 am  · 
 · 
postal

designer: animate... (animatearchitecture.com)

AOR/DesignBuilder: Teng (my team)

make, you know Joe w/ animate? (for some reason, it seems like you might.)

Feb 27, 09 9:47 am  · 
 · 
blah

WAY TO GO, JOE!!!!!!

That's great. I ate lunch with him a while ago at Lago's. Good for him!

Feb 27, 09 11:29 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

WTF? Who dont you know?

Feb 27, 09 11:35 am  · 
 · 
Synergy

Hey Guys, I'm back in the country now, sorry I missed the get together, it has been a busy month but now my load should be somewhat less for a little while, so hopefully i can catch up and start posting again.

Feb 27, 09 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

i'll gang bang sometime, but only if i get to bring my rey mysterio mask.

Feb 27, 09 8:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: