Archinect
anchor

Which LEED rating system to use in a 3 unit mixed use live/work building?

We are doing a 3 unit 3 story townhouse project that will be LEED certified. The units are live/work and contain a retail space on the ground floor connected to residential above.

I would like to use LEED NC as we are familiar with it, however since the release of LEED homes they state that LEED NC can be used in residential projects of 4 or more stories... LEED homes does not really apply to what we are doing, it is more geared to tract homes it seems.

In a mixed use project what stipulates which ratings system to use? I found nothing on the USGBC website and trying to contact them is impossible. Has anyone had a similar problem?

Jan 23, 08 2:51 pm
treekiller

*sigh*

and you call yourself a LEED-AP????

the answer is there if you know where to look.

Jan 23, 08 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
Noah Marble

Treekiller, I hope your 3426 other posts are helpful as that last one. What a waste of space.

Jan 23, 08 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

yeah, I can be a dick sometimes, but why should we do your job?

If you know NC, then use it. Or does the client want to save money?

Jan 23, 08 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Why not use Proctactinium?

Jan 23, 08 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
marmkid

i never understand this
if you dont want to "do his job", just dont post
why be a dick just for the sake of being a dick

i imagine he wasnt asking people to research and do all of his work for him
he simply asked if anyone had a similar problem

Jan 23, 08 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
Noah Marble

Hypothetical situation, you have a 3 story mixed use building, ground floor is retail and upper 2 floors are condos. LEED NC says it can be used for residential projects of 4 floors or more, but LEED homes is not geared at all to a development like this, it is more for single family units and would not address the commercial space.

What rating system do you use for the building? Sheesh that is the question.

Jan 23, 08 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
Renewable

NC man...it's a 4-Story building.

Jan 23, 08 6:35 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

my quick take is that you're probably going to use NC ... but, I'd have to say it's not altogether clear.

I seem to recall that you can have a dialogue with USGBC about such confusing situations when they arise ... have you approached USGBC in an effort to obtain a clarification ... send them a note at: [email protected]

Jan 23, 08 6:45 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

search the CI rulings to see if a similar situation has already been addressed. if not, then submit a CI form.

Jan 23, 08 6:53 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

jafidler: maybe I'm mistaken and, if so, I would love to have a better understanding, but I thought CI rulings were used only to clarify how individual credits are to be interpreted and applied.

Do CI rulings actually deal with such global questions as "which rating system is most appropriate to my project?"

Jan 23, 08 7:26 pm  · 
 · 
n_

It's a CIR (Credit Interpretaion Request/Ruling) not a CI. That will probably not help you. Those rulings are for registered projects seeking clarification for a project specific credit issue. Last I heard, LEED is no longer giving registered projects a free CIR. They are now charging $200 for each CIR you ask.

PS. It's LEED NC.

Jan 23, 08 7:31 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

oops, my mistake. that's what happens when you haven't used your leed knowledge in a while.

Jan 23, 08 8:54 pm  · 
 · 
Renewable

Seriously though...why not just build another floor. At the same time you can sell one more condo, and then qualify for the NC rating. When the project is complete you can explain how building more equates to environmental sustainability. The redeeming value of environmentally conscious sprawl is infinite. Remember, you can't renew a forest until you cut it down and you can't recycle something until you replace it.

Jan 24, 08 10:28 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

Gleened from the LEED reference guide page 4:

"If the application of LEED for a unique building type is questionable, USGBC encourages the project team to tally a potential point total using the checklist in the LEED rating system."

Jan 25, 08 9:00 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

NC can be applied to any project. its not about 'qualifying'.

if you can't figure out what rating system to use, you will never be able to pass the accreditation exam.

Jan 25, 08 10:01 am  · 
 · 
marmkid

i think he's trying to use it in an actual project. he's not studying for the exam

Jan 25, 08 11:36 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: