Archinect
anchor

prefab in the public domain

sloring

Does anyone have any experience in dealing with prefabricated construction and government agencies? We are working on at work and the bidding process that they use does not lend itself to the collaborative efforts of builder and architect that is so intregral to the prefabricated method of construction (we do 100% CDs and then the parks dept finds a builder).

Jan 17, 08 11:50 pm
Arzo

ask brad pitt

Jan 18, 08 10:29 am  · 
 · 
futureboy

actually this is an issue that we dealt with in my previous job. we were developing a prefabricated modular building system, so we had to have a paper division between architectural and manufacturing components, with separate accounts, etc. although, several of us were "employees" of both companies. given the liabilities related to being an architect this is both a good and a bad thing. i could go into more information, but i don't want to go into too much detail and potentially go beyond my NDA....but i just was going to say that this issue is at the heart of why more projects are not developed from a stand point of prefabrication. given the government's insistence of multiple source bidding, it basically ties the hands on the development of more singular approaches to the industrialization of the building process and reinforces the traditional design-bid-build nature of the industry. what you do see is a number of companies using more traditional building methods (metal stud type construction for exterior wall assemblies) as prefabricated assemblies or systems like precast concrete where a number of manufacturers have developed around a similar industrialized process.
i don't know if theres any specific ways to deal directly with this situation, but there are more ways to get around it than previously available. it just takes some creative re-working of our approach to the system...but it is a big hurdle to overcome.

Jan 18, 08 5:14 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: