Archinect
anchor

Ghery makes Forbes' list of 101 Dumb Moments in Biz-'07

Apurimac
Strata Center

The rest of the list is pretty funny too.

Jan 17, 08 2:16 pm
Apurimac

oh, 'scuse me, Fortune's 101 Dumbest Moments...

Jan 17, 08 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

is "fortune's 101 dumbest moments" the number one item on their list?

Jan 17, 08 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

it is funny that the list Radioheads album...it was #1 in record sales after it was released

Jan 17, 08 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
n_

This was in the Archinect news a few weeks ago.

I enjoyed reading the other dumb moments. It gave me confidence that I was more business-minded than I ever expected.

Jan 17, 08 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
n_

I thought it was interesting that Radiohead was on the list too. Radiohead still made tons of money off the name-your-price online sale because musicians/bands usually receive very little of the record sales. Record companies usually keep the majority of record sales profit. Sans record company and low overhead, they were able to make a heavy profit.

Jan 17, 08 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
nomadzilla

Apurimac,
while you're rephrasing the title, how about spelling the name GEHRY as well...huh?

Jan 17, 08 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
PsyArch

And Stata, not Strata, Center

Jan 18, 08 9:31 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

whatever the fuckever grammar nazis. I still thought it was funny and would share it with you all.

Jan 18, 08 11:07 am  · 
 · 
nomadzilla

Thanks Apurimac! chill, dude!

Jan 19, 08 6:08 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

so, from a business magazine the subprime debacle doesn't seem to rank. although to them prozac in doggy downer form is stupid, it will probably make lilly more money and that money will be spread around indianoplace so more suvs will be zipping by my hood on the way to the lilly campus. whereas, the subprime travesty is a potential macroeconomic disaster.

Jan 19, 08 7:33 am  · 
 · 

how do you figure it didn't rank, vado? financial ceo's are all over the first 50 and that's the reason cited in most.

(50s as far as i've gotten.)

Jan 19, 08 7:46 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

well i mean like ranking number one or two or three... is what i mean.

Jan 19, 08 8:04 am  · 
 · 

what i found funny about these ceos is that someone bothered to track why they were asleep at the wheel during the worst period(s) of the crisis. it seems they were all out golfing for large chunks of those months - maybe all together?

Jan 19, 08 8:15 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

vado, many of the dumb moments were related to the subprime debacle, start from the beginning.

Jan 19, 08 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

yeah missed that merril lynch bidness.

Jan 19, 08 8:05 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

I think we should cut their heads off on the capital steps and let them roll down Aztecan human sacrifice style.

Jan 19, 08 9:49 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

Merrill Lynch? Oh yeah, right. I was busy dodging Citigroup.

Jan 21, 08 10:49 am  · 
 · 
ff33º

very enetrtaining list to read...a little skewed, but I guess it is Forbes.

I always considered that radiohead thing a very good thing

Jan 21, 08 11:06 am  · 
 · 

especially if it got people to actually pony up and buy it.

somebody burned a copy for me the day after the disc hit stores...

Jan 21, 08 11:16 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

I think radiohead is just trying to find a good way to work with the natural tides of information flow rather than trying to fight it like the record companies are. So even if this may be a biz "failure" lessons learned will only help them the next time they release an album.

Jan 21, 08 11:32 am  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

The 38% who paid for Radiohead's music should be on the list.

I was in a bar on Trivia night & one ofthe questions was "Who had the top selling album of 200x?"
When the answer was 'Radiohead' the silence was deafening among us 'Rocker' & 'Rapper'-types who were the predominant types in the joint.

At least racial harmony was achieved.

Jan 21, 08 11:32 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

I have been thinking about authoring a book.
I think an approporiate title might be:

"How to Bring the Country Down on a Golf Course"

Jan 21, 08 6:04 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: