Archinect
anchor

suggestions for good ultra-portable notebook computer

Chase Dammtor

Any suggestions of a good one? I want power to run architecture programs but I want it to be as small as they make them so I can take it with me no problem. the dell m1330 is the least expensive for its specs.

Jan 15, 08 6:42 pm
WonderK

Is this a joke, or did you miss this thread completely:

macbook air

Jan 15, 08 6:45 pm  · 
 · 
Chase Dammtor

wasn't a joke because i don't want a mac... i didn't want to hijack the other thread

Jan 15, 08 7:20 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Oh, well honestly if power is what you're after then a Mac isn't a bad thing to consider. I know you say you want to run "architecture" programs but the only thing you need Windows for is what....CAD, Rhino, and a few others? And you can run them on Bootcamp or Parallels or VMWare Fusion. I run several programs on Parallels on my Mac with no trouble. Oh, and no viruses or mysterious crashes either.

Beyond these issues, there are lots of threads about this topic, so do a search...good luck.

Jan 16, 08 1:34 am  · 
 · 
trace™

Apple's warrantly, at least in my inquiries (someone suggested it was incorrect, but I spoke with a few reps - about a year ago), is horrible.

Once they get a decent business warranty, I'll buy one. But I must say that Dell is not far behind. Not like a year ago.

I am waiting for the new Precision laptops. My M90 is wonderful, but its huge 17" too.

XPS looks like the best for now, imho.

Jan 16, 08 8:53 am  · 
 · 
cadalyst

I priced out an XPS 1550, and it came in around $1500 decently equipped, which included a 256 Nvidia card and 2gb ram, and the 2.2ghz 4mb core2duo chip.

I browsed the dell outlet and picked up an Inspiron 1720 with basically every option available for really cheap, and I view the larger screen as a bonus (I previously had a 17" HP notebook, will never buy HP again)

If you're seriously looking at the 1330. remember one of the setbacks with the small form factor is the graphics card, the largest card avail in the 1330 is a 128. The 1550 is basically the 1330, but you can option the video card up to the 256 due to the larger case size.

Let us know what you decide.

Jan 16, 08 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
cadalyst

p.s. if you are keen on the 1330, there is one with 2gb ram, 2.0 core2duo, and the 128 Nvidia card sitting in the dell outlet for $919, which I think its pretty cheap.

Jan 16, 08 7:04 pm  · 
 · 
psycho-mullet

When I was pricing out notebooks the Sony Viao was coming in a few hundred cheaper than a comprable dell. I think the Viao's are generally more attracted and the TZ's are tiny!

Jan 17, 08 8:59 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

Problem with Sony is they have a very consistent track record of the worst customer support.

They look pretty, but aren't that reliable and tech support is the worst, or close to it (according to PC Mag).

Jan 18, 08 8:29 am  · 
 · 

there are some cool and tiny ACER's that are about the size of an A4 sheet with about the same specs as my work house.

Jan 18, 08 8:47 am  · 
 · 
TED

i think paul should start a new thread catagory: Mac v. PC

Jan 18, 08 10:10 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: