Archinect
anchor

Minnesota Bridge Collapse

evilplatypus
CNN

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Federal investigators have identified a design flaw as the cause of last year's Interstate 35W Minneapolis bridge collapse that killed 13 people, a congressional official said Tuesday.

Thirteen people died when the Interstate 35W bridge collapsed into the Mississippi River on August 1.

The official, who was briefed by the National Transportation Safety Board, said that investigators found a design flaw in the bridge's gusset plates, which are the steel plates that tie steel beams together.

The official spoke on the condition of anonymity so as not to pre-empt an update being provided later Tuesday by the NTSB chairman, Mark V. Rosenker.

Jan 15, 08 10:20 am
Philarch

Anyone know where I can get a link to watch the press conference @ 1:30 of Mark Rosenker via internet?

Jan 15, 08 11:34 am  · 
 · 
lmnop15
http://www.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=492619

I guess one of the local networks is streaming it live

Jan 15, 08 11:46 am  · 
 · 
mdler

i hope this isnt the same design flaw that is on every other bridge built in our country...

Jan 15, 08 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Whoops, guess we can't blame it on the contractor!

Jan 15, 08 12:34 pm  · 
 · 

Apparently they didn't calculate added stress/weight of renovations and equipment compared to the old max loads of the gusset plates.

Jan 15, 08 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
4arch

ban bridges

Jan 15, 08 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

I saw NTSB Chairman Rosenker on the News Hour and wasn't much impressed. Kind of a rube -- certainly not a tech person, and not a particularly convincing spokesperson.

Jan 17, 08 9:09 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Anybody seen a photo of the torn gusset plate(s) ? I assume the rivets (bolts ?) were able to tear from their holes because the material was too thin. . .?

Jan 28, 08 11:37 pm  · 
 · 
Aaron Westre

It was actually the plates themselves that ripped, right in between the bolts.

Feb 5, 08 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Wow. Thanks.

Feb 5, 08 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

The damaged structure of the I-35W bridge after it collapsed. Federal investigators have said a design flaw in the bridge's gusset plates was the major factor in its collapse. (Photo courtesy of MnDOT)

Kinda makes you want to be more careful with stuff you design, eh?

Feb 5, 08 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Indeed.

There was a pour going on when the bridge collapsed, I believe; at least one concrete truck was on deck, and other equipment.

Feb 5, 08 4:21 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: