maybe my next car and under $14k!

40/45 (EPA 2007); 33/41 (EPA 2008)

it's as much fun as driving a go-cart.

Jan 14, 08 2:28 pm
b3tadine[sutures]

looks dangerous.

Jan 14, 08 2:30 pm  · 
 · 

too bad the US won't be releasing the diesel version which gets 70 mpg. you can import one from canada though.

Jan 14, 08 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Any thoughts on how one goes about importing a car from Canada? Is it very difficult?

Jan 14, 08 2:43 pm  · 
 · 

i don't think it's that easy actually, and not very cheap... but i know there are a few dealerships that have been selling canadian smart cars for the last few years here in LA. i haven't seen any diesels though.

Jan 14, 08 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

can you not get those in the states yet?

Jan 14, 08 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

end of the month give or take a little for the premium gas model goes on sale...

Jan 14, 08 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I want to buy one so that I can drive it around in the back of my Hummer.

Jan 14, 08 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Hope their car works better than the web site....or they might have to call it a new generation fiat.

Jan 14, 08 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller

I'd love to see what happens when someone "parks" their smart under the front of one of these.

Jan 14, 08 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

we want one... a lot of them here in seattle, though i've yet to see someone park it the correct way (perpendicular to the curb)

Jan 14, 08 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

treekiller

I thought that they were around $30K

Jan 14, 08 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

also a two seater...

Jan 14, 08 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)
smart fortwo crash test

the forfour is also pretty cool. there's a brabus version too.

Jan 15, 08 12:50 am  · 
 · 
myriam

screw the fortwo, i want the sexy convertible!!

Jan 15, 08 12:57 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

I think that I should get one. And that's not just the wine talking. It's so cute and so practical....and I would never need to go above 90 mph anyway. If I could get the diesel model, I'd be glorious.

Jan 15, 08 1:48 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

my gokart gets thirty mpg and is pretty quick and you can put things in it. on saturday it was quite nice out so i went up to the honda dealer to buy a replacement rear wiper blade. well, i poked around auto alley. i took a test drive in a mini s and it was fun. but, by the time you put a few options on that car you are in the high 20's pushing 30 grand. and for that you can get an off lease bimmer or audi or mercedes or whatever you want. hell, for that i can go find a used boxter S.

Jan 15, 08 5:42 am  · 
 · 

i'm surprised the mileage isn't better, really. like j said, my civic hybrid does better (in real mileage, not epa estimates, which, in my experience, are inflated, probably because they do testing on the salt flats or something).

i love the way this thing looks and it would suit my needs really well, but i can't get enamored of it until it performs at least as well as my boring (and much larger) civic.

Jan 15, 08 7:29 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I was also surprised that the mileage wasn't higher.

I was going to post that I feel safe enough in my tiny car - a Miata - even on the road with Hummers. I just drive carefully, and no matter what size your car there will always be an unpredictable situation with an idiot involved, whatever they may be driving (sometimes I'm even the idiot!). Driving is always a risk, every single time.

Then I realized my Miata, though tiny, is nearly four feet longer than this car! That thing isn't tiny, it's minuscule!!!

Still, I would drive one. Definitely.

Jan 15, 08 9:50 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

American emission standards reduce the hp for cleaner air. oh well.

sitting in the fourtwo it doesn't feel that small because the cabin is spacious for the two seats and you're sitting tall.

Jan 15, 08 10:59 am  · 
 · 
Vince Vulgar

The Vince would not be able to have sex in this car; it is way too small.

Jan 15, 08 11:22 am  · 
 · 
dml955i

The Vince or the car is too small?

Jan 15, 08 11:26 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

seems like vince is too small.

Jan 15, 08 11:41 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Zing, dml955i!!!!! Well-played.

Jan 15, 08 11:48 am  · 
 · 
Vince Vulgar

The Vince is larger than life in all ways imaginable, some call him colossal.

Jan 15, 08 11:48 am  · 
 · 
dml955i

thanks - I'm here all week. Try the veal and don't forget to tip your waitstaff & bartenders!

Jan 15, 08 11:49 am  · 
 · 

I dunno just seems like it would be easy to buy one in canada and drive it across the border. Am I wrong in thinking that? It will meet any emission test and it isn't that dangerous.

LB the epa changed because for the US they added a 155lb cage in the frame to help "protect" it from impact particularly side impact

but if you fear driving it - get a mini...probably around the same cost and better mileage and torque

Jan 15, 08 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

I'm confused, and sorry for not reading the whole thread, but why are there two gas mileages listed? I don't mean 2007 and 2008 but why is there a freeway number given? I though these things weren't legal on the freeway.

Do they just mean highway?

Jan 15, 08 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
threeewizmen

a turbo'd version of a smart car, pretty ridiculous...

www.metacafe.com/watch/186277/smart/

Jan 15, 08 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

is 'the veal' another name for 'the vince'???

Jan 15, 08 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
207moak

The Honda Fit is a bit bigger and a blast to drive (it did Car & Drivers slalom faster than the corvette.)
Mileage is 34-38
And you can get your legs in it.

Jan 15, 08 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

ya'll are way off base, this is my whip:

Small enough to park at my desk and 100 mpg.

Jan 15, 08 12:26 pm  · 
 · 

the fit is nice

Jan 15, 08 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

we already own a Fit (not that I've been allowed to drive it). So I want something different then the missus.

the dual mpg numbers are cause the epa changed how they calculate the numbers this year to better reflect 'real life' driving.

the problem with driving cross the border is when it comes to registering the car. different emission standards means that a CAnadian car in CAli won't pass.

the mpg difference between the US and Euro version is because of the extra 155# of steel. I'd rather have the extra beef.

Jan 15, 08 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

garpike, they are freeway legal, they go up to 90 mph.

SW and lb, I too, am disappointed that they only get 40 mpg.....at that size you'd think they would do better than that. This is why I want the diesel, although I think I could find a used diesel Golf for cheaper.

(I'm not sure why I'm talking about cars....I'm still vehemently anti-car but I miss driving terribly....I will probably cave in the next year and get a car again....stupid LA....)

Jan 15, 08 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

Wk- driving is a great part of the LA experience, from whizzing down the 10 to the beach on a sunday morning, to spending three hours in gridlock on the 110 next to bunkerhill, to slaloming along the angeles crest, or cruising pacific coast highway through malibu. Without wheels, you can only be the passenger on these experiences. I spent a year sharing my car with my wife in LA (meaning she drove, I walked/hitched rides). Life is better with motorized transport.

Jan 15, 08 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

i agree with treekiller. Living in LA, I realize how much I actually like driving. That being said, I want to move somewhere that I can walk

Jan 15, 08 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

i miss driving, the subway is just way too dark.

Jan 15, 08 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

The Roadster is where it's at.

Jan 15, 08 7:49 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

da roadster from a freindlier website

Jan 16, 08 9:44 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

so where are the three-cylinder, twelve-cylinder, and ten-cylinder exotics? what about wankle rotarie, hybrid and others?

Jan 16, 08 11:52 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

does wK have a fourtwo in her future?

where is that smart dealer in venice?

Jan 20, 08 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

yay

It's on Abbot Kinney in Venice. It's only temporary as the real dealership will soon be moving next to the Mercedes store in Beverly Hills. Which is kind of annoying but makes sense I suppose.

Jan 20, 08 8:51 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro
Jan 20, 08 9:07 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

Smart Car Dealers here or here

yeay!!!!

Jan 22, 08 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
SandRoad

Looks like fun. And not safe to put a kid in.

Jan 22, 08 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
Oysters and Trifle

fits, sort of:

For landscape architects and architects, this size vehicle opens up possibilities. Stick it in an alcove? Hide it between 2 jardinieres?

What I want to know is: can you fit four fortwo's in a three-car garage without having to stack them.

Feb 4, 08 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

SandRoad, see my post above. No car is really "safe" to put your kid in. Personally I feel safer with my boy in my Miata than in my sister's Landcruiser!

Get over your fears. They are marketing to exactly that tendency.

Feb 4, 08 9:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: