Archinect
anchor

attention\\seeking critics for a portfolio review

jdl13

I realize there may be no critics in the this cyberspace.
Thought I will take a chance. I have not had any feedback from ant persons other that fellow students you say "it looks good." What the hell does that mean though? Applications are off...it is out of my hands.

Any feedback will be helpful as this is not the last time I will create a document of this nature.

Of course I am applying to all of THOSE schools...whatever.

Thanks a clump!

http://www.mediafire.com/?6myumegmb4x

sorry for the size, reduce to fit to page (which you all know)

Jan 13, 08 11:50 pm
boxy

here's what first came to my mind... it shows a lot of process but doesn't have the bold, payoff images that grab my attention. so, you'd fit right in at the gsd, yale, and princeton.

Jan 14, 08 1:31 am  · 
 · 
futureboy

jdl13. i think that your portfolio shows a lot of potential. you obviously are beginning to define an interest in materiality, which is a strong positional argument. it isn't fully there in your project work, at least not yet...but can easily begin to infiltrate and inform your work as you continue your studies. i would suggest that you take a year or so to work in an office (not just any office, though). work somewhere that will throw you into the heat of developing a project as a real detailed built work. currently i think that although your work deals with the poetics of space and form it doesn't speak to a larger critical stance that is informed by the profession itself. the problem with your continuing directly into more academia is that you will not be challenged in this regard and will easily become delusioned as to what constitutes a critical stance within the profession. don't be afraid of the realities of the profession. as for your graphic layout,etc. your document feels a bit weak on information. it is cleanly presented and pleasant but lacks a strong argument within the presentation of the projects as to why. this will potentially be an issue for the schools i'm sure you've applied to, but your work is well presented and appears thorough...so those who look at them know how to infer a lot. in the future, though being a bit more informative about the design dialogue within your projects will only make your portfolio a stronger document.
wishing you the best on your endeavour...but my personal suggestion would be defer your acceptance for a year to get some professional experience.

Jan 14, 08 11:52 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

agree w/ above... to get into those schools, more content wouldn't hurt.

Jan 14, 08 11:55 am  · 
 · 
mdler

most critics are seeking attention

Jan 14, 08 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
xacto

out of all the ports ive seen of people applying this year, i like yours the best. great craft in your models/installations - something i haven't seen a lot of.

i assume your applying out of college, which is why you are limited in the number of projects, but i wouldnt add lesser quality to make the portfolio longer.

i really like it, good luck.

Jan 14, 08 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
jdl13

thanks for the range of responses, much appreciated.

Jan 14, 08 8:27 pm  · 
 · 
the silent observer

Nice to see another utahn out there....

I think the clarity of the images present is really great; Futureboy is right, from your images, one can infer a lot about your process, which is great. However, each of your projects seem to lack a context; there isn't a lot of information, and while you have diagrams that hint and your investigation, it is a bit obtuse. Additional information, be it sketch, additional text, captions, etc, would help.

Also, you only seem to place work from 2006-2007. That seems like a big flag to me. If this is grad school portfolio, then you should take a bit more time to cull through earlier work, pick out pieces that help show your development over your time at school as well as the development of a personal agenda/approach to design.

Jan 15, 08 9:54 am  · 
 · 
jdl13

utahn...nice.

thanks for the clear time and effort in the beneficial comments.

Jan 16, 08 2:45 am  · 
 · 

more content is definately needed - although I appreciate the minimalism you were going for. To let that really read though, you'd need to be far more consistent with the layout, size of images etc

You would also benefit from doing additional documentation of some of your items, consider them post design sketches of some of the stronger pieces.

Also take care in the orientation of the text...as well as placement.

Otherwise it well put together as a first attempt but would need tightening up before I would send it out for a serious response from professionals or schools /M.Arch

Jan 16, 08 11:46 am  · 
 · 
shaner

are you seeking employment with this portfolio?? or just entry into school?

what is your educational / work background specifically??

Jan 16, 08 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
jdl13

seeking school admission to March I. I have, or will have a B.S. in Arch.

Jan 16, 08 7:03 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: