Archinect
anchor

Endgame for one of Chicago's Great Public Places?

evilplatypus

Endgame for one of Chicago's Great Public Places?

[url=http://www.lynnbecker.com/repeat/dailynews/dailynews.htm
]link[/url]

Lynn Becker reports on plans to develop one of the best open spaces in any urban environments in the world -

The Daily News plaza was the first to recognize how the Chicago River was changing. The river's stigma as a festering waterway jammed with commercial traffic was changing rapidly. People were beginning to catch on to the river's potential as a valuable civic amenity. For the first time, a major project didn't turn its back on the river, but embraced it, with a broad plaza from which to better enjoy its charms.

Jan 11, 08 4:16 pm
evilplatypus
link
Jan 11, 08 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Please, God, no....

I've always loved the old Daily News building. Chicago has relatively few noteworthy art deco buildings compared to NYC or LA, and it would be tragic for one of the city's best examples to be permanently altered beyond recognition.

City Hall needs to draw a line in the sand against the continued rape of the city's architectural heritage, but I fear that short-term financial gain will once again rule the day.

Jan 11, 08 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

f*cking capitalism man...

Jan 11, 08 6:03 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Well Im going to see my brother in Elmhurst in 5 min. - I will enter through the south bustle, past the shops as I ramp up to the Helmut Jahn bridge to thee Northwestern Train station - its one of my all time favorite experiances. it will be with particular sadness I walk through the arcade tonight.

Jan 11, 08 6:06 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: