Archinect
anchor

Be a good guy or an a**

nosduh

To All:
I can't thank you all for the discussion you brought forth. I hope it will help all of us.
I haven't decided to or not to release the CAD files, but if I do, it's with a release etc.
To clarify, this project was to provide design plans for a residential conversion with existing condition documentation. We performed the schematics and the Owner sold the building.
We used an AIA Agreement and no rights where transferred.
My discussion with the current Owner lead me to believe he would continue the project with us.
I have learned over the 25 years that doing something for gratis does not lead to future work or client loyalty etc. In fact it is only when I say no that we get projects and future repeat work and referrals. I think the Client then has respect for you and your work when they are paying for it.
I'll post when I make a decision and why.
Best to you all - Bon Annee !

Jan 12, 08 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
nosduh

I can't thank you all enough! ... duh! excuse the first line!

Jan 12, 08 2:05 pm  · 
 · 

vamure, the fact that nosduh only completed schematics is exactly the reason for my query. he'd be turning over design work that never got built for free, not in any way turning over documentation of what exists. i think that's a pretty impt distinction.

Jan 12, 08 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
a a i b

Well.

In my office CAD files never, ever leave the door. Why should they? They represent our work on a project. They may or may not be accurate, timely or relevant in their new use as they were for their old use. The drawings were always a part of the process, not the point of the process. Quite apart from the discussion of giving away intellectual property (which I am also against), they just may not be to the new client what he wants them to be.

Clients often have this idea that "the drawings" are out there that perfect describe "their space." This of course is absurd -- the drawings were instruments towards getting something built, not painstakingly accurate assessments of the Real World.

If you want to be nice, give him .pdfs of the drawings. From these the client or his architect can make their own drawings, which they should anyway.

Jan 14, 08 12:08 am  · 
 · 

yes.

Jan 14, 08 7:25 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Excellent post, aaib. Especially like this sentence:

The drawings were always a part of the process, not the point of the process.

A better understanding of this difference, on the part of our clients, would go a long way towards helping them understand our value as designers, not draftsmen.

Jan 14, 08 9:17 am  · 
 · 
chicago, ill

Don't give CAD files for project. These belong to you/your firm, and aren't transferable assets of previous owner. Plus there is the serious liability issue of new owner simply adding information to your CAD files and trying to obtain permit/construct off the altered drawings with your title block still in-place.

Give him a courtesy set of prints, with "not for construction" and current date handprinted in marker in a prominent location on each page. New owner would appreciate a set of those prints, if his intentions are honest. And if not, you've addressed the potential liability issue without seeming discourteous.

In my experience, when someone knowledgeably asks for "CAD files" on a previously completed project now owned by another property owner, then that someone is contemplating "cutting corners" - whether to just save money or to perhaps even mislead municipal building department re: permit issues for new or additional work.

Jan 14, 08 9:42 am  · 
 · 
nosduh

OK the decision is .... drum roll....

PDF's only with big disclaimer on them.

Thanks again to all your input.

It was and still is extremely valuable!

Jan 21, 08 12:21 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: