Archinect
anchor

ARB or NCARB?

bande_a_part

Has anyone done a comparison on registering with NCARB and ARB. I just graduated last year (B Arch) from an American University and am now working in London. I have a British passport, and am definitely staying here for a few years, if not longer. All my fellow graduates are going ahead with their IDP while I'm tackling with ARB here to get my five years of architecture school verified as Part II (basically they told me I have to pay 1200 gbp for part I and another 1200 for part II...I still have student loans to pay off!) Can't even apply to schools for my part III and do log books before I do that. I wish NCARB would count idp hours for work done outside of the US (ARB do count work done outside of the Uk for up to one year). Anyway, just trying to see if anyone is in the same boat.

ps. Actually I wouldn't really mind registering with ARB but however long I stay eventually I think I'll go back to the States...hope they'll resolve the US/UK reciprocity issue in the next ten years...

Jan 11, 08 5:09 am
BOTS

No chance of a reciprocity agreement. I've been waiting ten years already. I'd say more change of getting the room full of chimps to complete one of Shakespear's works on them typewriters 'they' go on about.

From a biased point - ARB is better, they charge more!

Jan 11, 08 8:51 am  · 
 · 
Bloopox

NCARB does count IDP hours for work done outside the US - up to a maximum of 235 units (about 1 year) if you were not supervised in the firm by a licensed US architect - and unlimited if you were.

Jan 11, 08 10:05 am  · 
 · 
bande_a_part

Bloopox - Oops actually they do, my mistake. There're probably a few architects licensed in the states in my company...argh just when I start switching jobs...

Jan 11, 08 10:33 am  · 
 · 
mleitner

Does anyone have experience submitting foreign IDP work experience in California?
California experience requirements credit foreign experience at 50%. Does this also apply to IDP if you plan to get licensed in California?

Jan 11, 08 11:57 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: