Archinect
anchor

When to go back for M Arch 1?

shellarchitect

In 2005 I got a bs in arch. Since then I've gotten a pretty good job working as an "architect" on some really exciting projects with a lot of responsibility and decent pay, 48k.

My question is at what point do I go back for the professional degree?

Additionally, I don't really want to quit, go the school, and two years later end up with a worse job + more debt. My employers (and I) would really like me to become a real architect at some point. I had planned to apply this year but somehow never got around to it, so I'm thinking next year.

Jan 10, 08 6:40 pm
obelix

Will your employers give you work during the summer and take you back after you finish? I would go back sooner rather than later.

Jan 10, 08 8:57 pm  · 
 · 
cln1

yes, go sooner rather than later, and dont marry yourself to your current employer...

Jan 11, 08 8:24 am  · 
 · 
pedropolis

Have you spoken to your employer about setting up a co-op program with a local university?

This could allow you to remain an employee in a part time capacity while obtaining the necessary degree for licensure.

Also, if becoming a "real" architect means getting licensed, be sure to check your state's requirements, as experience can be substituted for an additional degree in some jurisdictions.

Jan 11, 08 10:59 am  · 
 · 
mdler

have your employer foot the bill for school

Jan 11, 08 7:39 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: