Archinect
anchor

CERTIFICATION,LINCENSE AND REGIRSTRATIONlS

streamline.design

Other then AIA and LEEDs what's out there for a young up and coming professional?

I'm interested in quick and simple registration/certificate I can obtain. I recently noticed a Green Roof certificate and a Construction Documents Technology certificate. Other then personal enrichment interests I'm wondering what would Senior level Archinecter recommend to someone starting out

Jan 9, 08 9:43 pm
some person

Please define "Senior level Archinecter."

Jan 9, 08 10:06 pm  · 
 · 
tc79

Start with a Spellcheck certificate.

Jan 9, 08 10:12 pm  · 
 · 
streamline.design

I know, I noticed the misspelled words a second after I hit the submit button.

Jan 9, 08 10:34 pm  · 
 · 
marmkid

why the desire for registrations/certificates? what will it do for you?

Jan 10, 08 8:59 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

try booking some lunch-n-learns at your office...i've got a stack of "certificates" from those guys if all your looking for are easy credentials

Jan 10, 08 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra
http://www.subgenius.com/
Jan 10, 08 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
marmkid

are you already licensed and LEED accredited? because if not, you should probably worry about that first

Jan 10, 08 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Puddles is on the money here, Streamline.

You mention "quick and simple registration/certificates" and typical lunch & learns put on by vendors are the best way. Anything beyond "quick and simple" will involve more time and effort.

Jan 10, 08 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
marmkid

who is going to care about these simple and quick certificates? i get one every couple of weeks from these lunch and learns
they really dont mean all that much

Jan 10, 08 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
streamline.design

Hi Guys,
I should clarified, I just graduated and now I’m starting to do my IDP documentation, so I got at least 3 years left before qualifying for the exam. What I’m looking for is something that will set me apart from others. For example, as I wrote before Construction Documents Technology certificate issued by The Construction Specification Institute (CSI) seems like something I can put on my resume that might set me apart from the other young interns at my firm. I’m simply looking for ways to distinguish myself. At this point in my new career I’m doing lots of Photoshop and sketch up models, this is not what I want to be exposed to this point. I’m sure my time will come; I just want to be ready when I get the opportunity. Perhaps, I can create my own opportunity by showing some type of initiative as well as learning valuable skills by obtaining these certificates.

So, I’m not interested in going the lunch and learn route. I’m willing to put the effort into my career. I was just wondering if there are other certificates out there that someone with much years of real word experience would recommend.

I came across a certificate at www.greenroofs.org Its 4 classes costing $400 per class that will help you design and construct greens roofs. My firm (first job out of school) does lots of high-end residential buildings, so I’m thinking with this educational background maybe I can suggest designing green roofs in the buildings.

So, finally, I just want to know what else is out there! Any help or ideas would be great. Again, I did not mention lunch and learns

Jan 10, 08 8:16 pm  · 
 · 
Ledoux's Eye

Absolutely, the Construction Documents Technologist program is an excellent way to set yourself apart. You will definitely gain advantage over your peers because you will have at least a basic understanding of the "theory" of construction documents and project delivery methods. And, as added incentive, much of the material you learn will relate to portions of the ARE. This is real world professional practice information that will help you provide excellent service to your clients.

Streamline, your attitude about taking some initiative for your continuing education as a new graduate is commendable. This is an all-to-rare quality. Please keep it up and you will be noticed and rewarded.

Jan 10, 08 11:49 pm  · 
 · 
marmkid

showing some inititiative is definitely the way to not get stuck photoshoping and modeling full time. i would think you might be able to find some of these things that dont cost any money, because to be honest, $1600 seems like a lot for 4 classes and a certificate

there are probably free lectures and seminars on topics you would be interested in and think would set you apart. and they might do the same amount of good as a class, except wouldnt cost you a bunch of money

you are correct though, if you are mainly doing photoshoping and modeling now, and that isnt where you want your career to go, finding additional ways to set yourself apart is smart. why dont you sit down with your boss and ask his opinion on what you could do? show him some of the classes you have found, get his opinion on them. who knows, the firm might even offer to pay for them as well. my firm is sometimes willing to pay for someone to attend a class or seminar, with the assumption that that person will then inform everyone else in the office about what they learned. it will definitely set you apart

Jan 11, 08 8:46 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: