Archinect
anchor

Mexico City this Thursday

Medusa

I'm going to Mexico City for a week. Anyone have suggestions for architecture to see and places to eat/drink?

Jan 8, 08 11:22 am
Jah is my Co-pilot

zona rosa (nite life)
bellas artes
zocalo (and the massive church built from the aztec ruins across the street, go catholicism)
next to the zocalo there is some government building that has some large murals, which a pretty good, sorry I dont remember the name, if your facing the church its the building to your right (I think)
and of course, the barragon house, I think you have to make an appointment
the UNAM campus has some interesting buildings, but its a ways out of the way...
the diego rivera & frida kahlo house, that was pretty cool...
ill try and think of some more...

Jan 8, 08 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

yeah, hang out in coyoacan, the borough on the southern side of the city. really cool bohemian place.

Jan 8, 08 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
lmnop15

Anthropology Museum in Chapultepec Park
Casa Barragan and his Capilla de las Capuchinas . Both probably need an appointment. The Capilla is not to be missed. There's also a little square with a nice coffee up the street plus the neighborhood is nice to just look around in.
If you are up for walking you can go from San Angel to Coyoacan and hit up Frida and DIego's studio, her house in coyoacan, Trotsky's house is right down teh street from Frida's house as well. Plus the walk is a great way to see the city. The metro is super cheap and easy to use so you could use that if you wanted to. Mexico City is great so have fun there's a TON to see. Pick up a copy of Lonely Planet Mexico and you will be able to figure it all out.

Jan 8, 08 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
4arch

Camino Real Hotel - go to the bar

Jan 8, 08 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
spaceman spiff

two places i would add:

1) breakfast/brunch at cafe tacuba. absolutely unreal spread and amazing, fun ambience. 28 tacuba between allende and republica de chile.

abt 5 minutes walk east of the national museum of art, which is on the east side of la alameda. sheraton centro historico is the closest hotel i remember, and that's on the southwest end of la alameda.

2) drinks at the rooftop bar at hotel habita by enrique norten. it's that old building restored into a boutique hotel by wrapping it in frosted glass. stunning when it was new, was last there two years ago and it was starting to show its age - worn out/weathered wood decking, not so sparkling, etc. probably because it's not one of the hot spots anymore.

on Av presidente masarik, near newton

Mar 31, 08 9:11 am  · 
 · 
blah

A great place to eat is Pujol. It's upscale regional Mexican like Rick Bayless's Topolobamba.

Mar 31, 08 10:57 am  · 
 · 
MADianito

AAARRRGGHHH do an archinect discussions search!!, there's been so many times i had repeat what to see and where they are at....

Mar 31, 08 12:46 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: