Archinect
anchor

The people at Prometric are theives.

ff33º

15$ to mail a score, for each school each year

140$ for a personless computer quiz

6$ to call them to request scores to be sent

A practice test CD that crashes Vista and screws the "display" up on XP

They are a bunch of fucking con artists taking money form broke undergrads.

..then eveyone says , ..."don't worry about the GRE!"

I want my money back.

Jan 4, 08 8:21 pm
fulcrum

oh, wait until you start taking ARE. That's right, right at Prometric.

Jan 4, 08 10:09 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn yoooooooooooooooou Prometric!

Jan 4, 08 10:45 pm  · 
 · 
blah

I got a credit from them for really bad service. They gave me one of the $95 ARE exams I took for FREE!

So they do respond if you have a legitimate concern.

Jan 5, 08 11:38 am  · 
 · 
ff33º

Thanks,
I'll call them right now, and rip em a new one.

uh, Politely.

Jan 5, 08 11:45 am  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Sorry I am so naive, but I don't know what Prometric are, from what I read you can't blame me not to Google it.
But what is this realy about, I understand you pay for some qualifying, you know before what you pay for, what's wrong with it ; don't it work anyway, is it to expensive where are the trouble, as if second are the reson, I gladly deliver something the same quality just cheaper.

Jan 5, 08 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

Per there is no freedom of choice, no competition, it's a monopoly so they are able to give crappy service and charge exorbitant prices and nobody can do a thing about it. Hence the frustration.

Jan 5, 08 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
n_

Funny enough, I have been on the phone with good ol' Tommy Prometric this morning. They charged my credit card a $30 'exam' fee. I already paid for my exam so this fee shot up out of nowhere. The people on the phone were of little help as they kept referring me to their website and stating very vague responses. Ex:

Prometric: It's a fee that's just carried over for your exam in February.

Me: Why do I have this 'exam' fee if I have already paid for the exam in October?

Prometric: Sometimes you just have to pay our fees, then prove to us that you paid them through your credit card company, then appeal the fee through us, and then we may reimburse you.

Me: I'm trying to appeal this random fee right now on the phone with you.

Prometric: Sorry, you have to pay this fee first then appeal through our website. Thank you for calling Thomas Prometric. Goodbye

PerCorell: Prometric is a testing and assessment service. Many times when individuals seek a certification, licensure or require a test for assessment, we are required to go test through this company.

Jan 5, 08 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

Normally, i woudl not lash out and be so angry about requisite costs of my education..

but I just fired off like 6 GSchool MArch1 apps..coasting me around 400$...so a last minute 96$ fee to mail 6 digitally processed envelopes with my scores really urked me...

I had no idea they ran the ARE tests too...Looks like, I am going to be hatin them for years to come....

Jan 5, 08 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Then this treas is everything wrong that is , it was to be a praise for throwing money out the drains , don't the program call for a hypocrate bonus ?

Jan 5, 08 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
some person

All-in-all, I had a pretty good experience with Prometric while taking my ARE's. There were only two glitches when I tried to schedule two of the exams, and they were easily remedied over the phone.

The actual people at the DC testing center were cordial, and their familiarity put me at ease by the time of my 11th visit to see them.

I got my test scores quickly, too.

Finally, with the ARE, there are no hidden costs, and Prometric seemed to be merely the facilitator of testing. NCARB took care of the administrative stuff.

Jan 5, 08 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
citrus.grey

Like the ARE, Prometric is also only the facilitator of the GRE tests. The Educational Testing Service (ETS) produces, supplies, records, and delivers the GRE so as far as I know all of these fees you're complaining about are going to the ETS and not Prometric.

Prometric is merely a company that supplies computers for a wide variety of digital tests, from nursing exams to the ARE.

Jan 5, 08 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
Joe Soda

1. pay the fee.

2. chargeback with credit card.

Jan 6, 08 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
aquapura

I have to agree with DCA, so far no complaints. Sometimes when registering online it shows all the saturday morning spots closed so I've just called them and they always got me in when I wanted. Seems ridiculous to pay $95 for a multiple choice ARE exam, but that's something I blame NCARB for. People at the testing center have always been nice to me. Starting to know them quite well at about 75% completion of my ARE's.

If you do have a problem with prometric charges tell your credit card company. I've had problems with charges on my Amex card, not prometric. American Express credited my account without question and then they did the negotiating with the company that posted the charges, not me. Not sure how visa/mc handles that stuff but worth a shot.

Jan 7, 08 9:07 am  · 
 · 
simples

the attendant at the prometrics i was using for my LEED accreditation kept walking around the room and standing behind me for 10 minutes at a time...i hate when people stand behind me while i am working (or being tested) /// i also think they go overboard with their security measures re. bathroom breaks, calculators, etc...

Jan 7, 08 11:13 am  · 
 · 

overboard with some things, not so much with others.

i remember when the attendant described to me during the a.r.e.: 'i know you're supposed to have a 17" monitor for this test, but we don't have one that's working right now, so i have to give you this one and it'll have to be ok.'

i also had a session during which the computer TURNED OFF during the test. luckily only 5-10 minutes into it so i didn't lose much. but talk about being rattled...

Jan 7, 08 11:19 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: