Archinect
anchor

match scale in google maps / earth

does anyone know a good site / script / method for getting images out of google earth or google maps... but at a certain scale?

as in, say i want to draw a direct comparison between the urban cores of two cities halfway across the world, but the on-screen dimentions never match up properly....

Jan 3, 08 4:46 pm
simples

live.com - maps - which uses microsoft's virtual earth has a scale on the bottom right corner...if you have the images you want saved, you can just shift+prtscrn and take it to photoshop and scale accordingly...don't know if it helps, but that's how i would try to do it...

Jan 3, 08 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
binary

scale a sidewalk or a parking space...or a road....or a car.... that should get you close enough for a map........ or toss hand gernades or horseshoes.

i pieced downtown detroit and managed to get a good layout based from sidewalks and p.spaces

b

Jan 3, 08 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

plus, Google earth has a scale right in the lower right. You will have to play a bit to get them close however.

I typically zoom as far in as I can and then simply ctrl+print screen and dump them all into photshop.

But I remember seeing a nice diagram someone did of all the major global cities, was it in those Mayne books on LA maybe? Something that came out around 2002 or so....

Jan 4, 08 11:27 pm  · 
 · 

well i was hoping to get something more exact but i guess when you think about it, even when they're getting these images everything's thrown way off... and no sattelite image will be taken from the exact same height or angle so...

Jan 5, 08 2:39 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: