Archinect
anchor

architects

brieflynoted

which architect has really inspired you??

Dec 30, 07 2:27 pm
rfuller

Rove.

Dec 31, 07 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

hejduk.

Dec 31, 07 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

roark or maybe it was keating...

Dec 31, 07 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell
Teachers:

Kirby Lockhard
Charles Poster
Dan Hoffman

Practitioners:
Will Bruder
Rick Joy
John Patkau
Thom Mayne

Gurus:
Orhan Ayyuce

Dec 31, 07 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

no fair.

personal peers/mentors:

liberty bell - well, because she knows why, thank you so much.
orhan - because he has the courage, when i don't...
steven ward - because somehow, like the two above, manages to have a family - yes OA, your two doggies count - and still design like a mofo.
vado - well, let's just say vado is that special person that makes difficult to be a cheeseball architect, i'd hate to have to face him if i decided to do shit work.
treekilla - for sound advice and slapping some sense into me...

Dec 31, 07 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
clerestory strip™

Walter Gropius
John Portman
Kohn Pedersen Fox
Alexander Gorlin
ARCHITECHNOPHILIA
Robert A.M. Stern

yeah, I almost forgot, that Richard Meier person.

Dec 31, 07 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

geez, awww shucks...

since this is turning into a yearend love fest:

beta- since he showed how quickly you can complete the AREs and turned critiquing NCARB into professional advancement.

Orhan - for having the integrity to call it as you see it and being able to craft a great story out of everything.

C - well, for being there for the world.

(thelist could go on for days, so when I'm not at the office I'll resume)...

Dec 31, 07 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
HoleInTheW ll

Liberty Bell-

John Patkau but not Patricia Patkau? I worked for them last summer. She's a sweet heart. :)

Dec 31, 07 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Teachers:
Jamie Palazzolo
Eli Gamburg
James Ke + Matt Dockery

Practitioners:
John Portman
Rick Joy
David Adjaye
Enric Miralles

Theorists/Academics:
Lebbeus Woods
Rem Koolhaas
Bernard Tschumi

that's a short list

Dec 31, 07 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

HITW ll - yes, of course I should have said Patkau Partners. But I've only actually met John in the flesh. He lioves his work, it's clearly seen in his persona, and that inspires me as much as his actual built work, which I believe is as much Patricia's as it is his, yes?

Dec 31, 07 8:23 pm  · 
 · 
citrus.grey

I'll second that Hejduk comment, there's something so incredibly sensitive in the way he both saw and made things. I really think you could dig into that stuff for a lifetime and be hard pressed to find the bottom.

Dec 31, 07 8:41 pm  · 
 · 

i am inspired by all who has chosen to practice this profession against all odds, hardships and by those who are not afraid to talk about the weaknesses as well of the strengths of architectural field. that pretty much describes average archinect participant including myself.
i am uninspired by a handful few who dominate the world of architecture by the help of the media and impact the art form in a 'selective few makes it' way. these so called famous architects and their agents et al, rendering the vast majority of many good and dedicated architects who work hard with passion, insignificant. i hope this year will be the beginning of the new times that many unsung dedicated people will start to get their due respect and awarded for their service to society by given projects that they so deserve.
i will do my best with others to break this unjust favoritism that has turned our profession into a rat race for few available spots that media like to have for manipulating the situation according to their advertisers and other beneficieries.
we have to do this together, licensed, unlicensed, student, graduated, trained in architecture or interested in architecture. we have to serve people who live in the cities we shape, shelters we create and landscapes we design.
it is time to breake this mold that was created by others who care less about our art and well being and who favors only a few dozen or less architects as if at least couple of millions of well trained architects worlwide don't exists or just exists to follow the work of chosen few.

so help us ourselves and start to pass the word.

Dec 31, 07 10:32 pm  · 
 · 
db

marcel breuer

Jan 1, 08 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
Chase Dammtor

this is turning into a list of who can name the most obscure but semi-famous architects. let the name dropping continue.

Jan 1, 08 12:11 pm  · 
 · 

malcolm wells

pliny fisk

- not famous yet

Jan 1, 08 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

i'm still floored that john portman appears on this list...twice!!!

Jan 1, 08 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
binary

Lebbeus Woods

Jan 1, 08 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

doug graf
jeff kipnis

john pawson
peter zumthor

Jan 1, 08 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

obscure but semi-famous? the only names i don't recognize are the teachers, but then why would i?

Jan 1, 08 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
Oysters and Trifle

architects and landscape architects:

Andy Ogden, studied architecture, studied ID, won Most Admired ID Educators of the Year award 2006.
Francisco Behr, keen.
Jim Smith, who taught those to flap their wings and actually fly, damn it.
Mario Violich, who allowed me a peek at the concepts behind tomorrow’s urban spaces.
Howard Troller, Rick Mayer and Richard Scott; place makers, no small feat.
Pamela Burton; meaningful, meaningful work.
David Fletcher; forward thinker, sharp and bright.
Lisa Gimmy, rigorously tasteful.

And, I think, Peter Zumthor; if I were to experience his works, I just may uncontrollably sob.

Thanks for bearing with the incomplete sentences.

I wanted to post earlier, but I had to make a strudel. Jeez, how do you guys do it?

Jan 1, 08 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
Oysters and Trifle

Oh, and Scott Sebastian, absolutely insightful.

Jan 1, 08 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

to each their own ja, to each their own.

Jan 2, 08 12:55 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

no way, apu, i grew up loving portman. the first time i went to the renaissance center when i was ten or so i thought it was the coolest thing i'd ever seen. it probably had some role in me wanting to go into architecture. it just became harder and harder to admit a liking for portman the further i got with things, but deep down, i still think his buildings are damn cool.

Jan 2, 08 8:10 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

YES! Growing up in ATL he's really the first architect I became familiar with at the early point in my journey/career. My interest in him really started when I walked into the Mariott in Times Square back in the summer of 2000 after i came back to the states. It was like walking into Zion out of the matrix, a city-in-a-building sealed off and insulated from the outside, then I realized most of the buildings in downtown ATL had been designed by him. I wound up writing a 6000 word thesis on him my senior year in high school.

Jan 2, 08 9:03 am  · 
 · 

following to the wise comments of a friend - Orhan, Treekiller, Old Fogey, Steven Ward and the lady who inspired it all Liberty Bell

Others
Mark Taylor - head of school, great person to talk with - always makes time even after you've left
Pat Stanigar - former head of school, brilliant unsealed talent
Kevin Alter - UT Austin lecturer, an ace in any book
Glenn Murcutt - do I need to say anymore? Over dessert best advice ever, "start the way you want to finish"

Jan 2, 08 10:50 am  · 
 · 

i hope that i have had some positive impact somehow, here and elsewhere, but it'll never be like that of a mentor of mine at tulane who probably never knew how much i drew from him: errol barron.

when i started my school career i thought he was a pompous ass. by the time i graduated, he was a hero.

i still try to model my career (loosely) after what i liked about his. my work isn't like his, but that's not the point. he was a great teacher, a great practitioner, and he maintained a healthy mix of work, family, and side interests in music, drawing, and painting.

he lives the life of an Architect - it is who he is - but it does not consume his life.

Jan 2, 08 11:00 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: