Archinect
anchor

Let there be downlights

as i was giving a tour of venice to archinect editor bryan boyer today, we stumbled speechless in front of this construction site where the seemingly modern design needed to be lit in ultra wasteful ways.

we have counted 50+ recessed cans on each floor. and this is only the half of the building.

oh my sustainable ass...

Dec 29, 07 2:44 am
strlt_typ

all on one switch?

Dec 29, 07 3:09 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

nice. it goes along with the scrap pile out front that won't be recycled, too.

Dec 29, 07 3:57 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

speaking of scraps, orhan, what are the cross streets on that?...i'd like to take a look at the pile...i need lumber for a small shed.

Dec 29, 07 4:23 am  · 
 · 
el jeffe

perhaps the fixture pattern spells "i ♥ my H2"?

Dec 29, 07 10:49 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

great pic. i'm often stunned by the number of downlights used in residential design these days, even by architects who should know better.

at lafayette park, mies used six downlights to light the entire first floor of the townhouses (two over the kitchen, one over the dining room table, one at the entrance, and two in the hall leading to the living room). six total - each serving a particular purpose, and the house is not at all dark (rather ambiently dim;). less is more, folks, both from a design and conservation perspective.

Dec 29, 07 11:22 am  · 
 · 

this must have been a contractor designed project...

Dec 29, 07 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
some person

The ceilings could be quite poetic if the fixtures were tiny - like stars in the night sky.

Dec 29, 07 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

Between the large expanse of glass in the front and the constellation of cans, one wonders how (if?) this thing ever passed Title-24.

Dec 29, 07 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

keep hatin' on contractors barry, keep hatin'

Dec 29, 07 2:03 pm  · 
 · 

the building is definitely designed by a hot architect. lighting concept (!) is definitely furniture/art collection driven by someone who doesn't want to take any chances. it is on venice canals, where silica boy roams.

Dec 29, 07 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

Yeah this could be one of those clients who lived in a really dark house before, and no matter what you tell them they're convinced that will need a bright light focused right on every single surface in the house, and they're constantly asking you about potential dark corners. I've been there, it's all you can do to convince them to consider a few lamps...

Either that, or the architect is going insane. Yeesh, this is awful!

Dec 29, 07 2:39 pm  · 
 · 

here is the same photo this time highlighting the decorative galvanized 'c' channel facia articulating the 'box'. the channel raising from the lumber pile and leaning to the building is the part supposed to go to right side but seemingly didn't quite fit and waiting a replacement in the mean time. it is to give that precision manufactured look and highlight the industrial production. unsuspecting readers would never know how un efficient the process was.
there are some nice 4x for the taking. i would not be surprised to see this well thought out dwell mag or bust piece in the media with a title like 'triumph on the water; sustainable does not have to be dark' or something, penned by a green expert (there is no shortage of them these days) writer. ahaha, i am too funny!!!

Dec 29, 07 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
some person

I bet the RCP was fun to draw, though.

Dec 29, 07 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

I keep wondering what the Z-shaped flange at the edge of the middle floorplate is going to become.

That amount of cans is really utterly ridiculous. Since it's right on the beach, from the angle of all the passers-by looking up at it, all they will see is acne all over the ceilings. UGH. why on earth would you have so many--there are about 6 downlights, spaced about every 2 feet, straight down the left-hallway!

Maybe the client is a CIA interrogator and can't leave work at home. Or maybe a prison-guard, convinced convicts are breaking out in the shadows, must sleep with full lights on etc. Maybe Baby Jessica who fell down the well?

Dec 29, 07 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

i have a feeling all those lights were part of the concept - to do something "interesting" with the ceiling plane. because the house is built up so high, all anyone is ever going to see is the ceiling from the street. it wouldn't bother me so much if they weren't 6" cans. instead if they were very small led it might not be that bad as dca pointed out.

Dec 29, 07 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
some person

Okay - here's a really dumb question (but I'll never learn if I don't ask): What are the cross-braces at the perimeter for? Why is one galvanized while the other two have another steel coating? Is this temporary shoring? permanent structure for shear? or something else?

Dec 29, 07 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

can you put a link to the original - i want to zoom in to get a better look - could some of those not be reccessed lighting fixture?

I'm not familiar w Calif semisic zone methods but the frame should be welded to the lateral bracing correct? Or is there a welded tube sliding into that frame and bolted? You see little silver bolt heads it looks like.

Anyways, contractors a pig. We would never leave a garbage pile on site. Some little fucker could start it on fire. Plue it makes the new owners look like moutain folks b4 they move in. Must be low Bidder.

Dec 29, 07 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

glav bracing is exposed to the weather DCA

Dec 29, 07 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
some person

a-ha. A braced frame. I wonder if it will be covered up with metal cladding. The members look paper-thin in these photographs.

Dec 29, 07 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

Yeah that is a really nasty pile o' debris. Guess they didn't feel like renting a dumpster and securing parking permit. This is a fascinating little picture. Looks like there's bolted connections along the perimeter C-channel at the roof, evilp--with steel tubes running back to form roof structure. Seems like we should see that all around, no? I don't really know much about how you'd frame something like this. Interesting.

Dec 29, 07 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

Orhan I never read your silica boy before, somehow missed it. Excellent!!!!! There are a bunch of UltraPeep(tm) townhomes going up all over Lincoln Park, Chicago. Guess being rich is no fun unless everybody can see what you got?

Dec 29, 07 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
some person

Here's some braced frame eye candy for you:

W12x152's (If I recall correctly)

Dec 29, 07 3:38 pm  · 
 · 

btw, in cali, these type of mixed framing is a regular practice satisfying the sismic requirements and satisfying the fashionable all glass facades.

here is another one steel framed around existing 70's wood frame. i guess it is still called remodel.

and here is another construction by pre-fabbers.

greetings from land of gentrification called venice,ca, where this came from...

Dec 29, 07 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Hey Hey Marmol Radziner

Dec 29, 07 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

some of those may be speakers, but either way thats a lot o crap in the clg

Dec 30, 07 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
nonarchitect

I think the can lights should be replaced by little tiny christmas LED lights ! there is this indian restaurant in nyc lit with a thousand little "chili" lights that dangles quite close to the table...the effect is both dazzling and dizzying ! I go there at least once a month !

Dec 31, 07 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
HoleInTheW ll

nonarchi-

I did my undergrad in NYC. I love that tiny little restaurant too. sooo small, and I'm kind of tall.

Dec 31, 07 2:07 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: