Archinect
anchor

UK Architect seeks help/information on moving to USA

Edp

I am a fully qualified architect based in the North of England and am currently thinking of moving to work in New York City and would like any information on; who not to work for, salaries in the USA, minimum holiday entitlement, benefits, basically all there is to know about being an architect in America. If there are any likely employers on-line please do not hesitate to contact me.
Thanks
Slothman

Dec 28, 07 3:15 pm
holz.box

you should do a job swap.

Dec 28, 07 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
starrchitect

The way the country is right now, you're better off staying in England.

I'd wait another year, until the village idiot is done with his second term before moving here.

Also, please try another city in the US that isn't New York. Trust me on that one.

Dec 28, 07 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Are you paying off any UK-based student loans? Keep in mind that the US dollar isn't worth peanuts compared to the pound, and you may find yourself unable to make your payments.

Besides, we may be headed for a recession here... Lots of NY firms are looking for help, but I don't know how long that will last.

Dec 28, 07 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

/me would like to go the other dirrection

Dec 28, 07 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
Chase Dammtor

Let's see, it all depends on your experience level. But if you're just finishing school (i.e. under 30 years old) you would be likely to get $30,000 in yearly salary (with no benefits or insurance, also don't forget to subtract 40% off of that for income tax) and you will get about 2 weeks paid holidays, but you will be pressured by your boss to not use all of your two weeks.

Dec 28, 07 8:55 pm  · 
 · 
Edp

Thankyou for all your help, the overwhelming feeling i have now is to probably wait a year to see how things pan out with the potential slowdown in the USA. I am very surprised at the holiday allowance you have in america here we have a minimum 20 days plus bank holidays on top roughly 28 days a year... I also get the feeling that New York probably isn't the place to go to , where else would you recommend working obviously there is california/LA ?? All your advice has been most helpful thankyou.

Dec 29, 07 5:55 am  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

Here I am, waiting for the opportunity to move back to Europe...

Why do you want to move from Europe to US? And why NY?

Dec 30, 07 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
mkokimoto

How is Architecture in the UK besides the 28 days off? I've heard that being an American (US citizen) is really tough over there.

California is a bit better. Though the dollar is weak, it doesn't have to be as bad as Chase Dammtor makes it out to be. It's warmer here in California. You'll appreciate the sunny weather.

If you can get a work visa immediately, you could probably make around 35k with some benefits. You might not be working as an architect right away... maybe as a CAD drafter or as an expediter, but I'm sure you can get by.

However, if you're carrying any debt from across the pond.... as Living in Gin said, that's where it's going to hurt.

Jan 2, 08 8:57 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Edp, stay in the UK.

I work in NYC, and frankly I'd rather be back working in Shanghai.

Cool american cities besides NYC:
Boston, MA
Atlanta, GA (inside the city proper)
Miami, FL
Seattle, WA (haven't been, but apparently its hot)
Portland, OR (same as above)

Note: NYC will be largely invulnerable to the incoming recession as its largely driven by the sub-prime interest mortgage issue. The housing market in NYC is so fucking ridiculous (in part motivated by you Euros buy condos as as investment) that our client base (read: rich people) will be largely unaffected.

Jan 2, 08 11:10 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

35kamerican = less than 17 lbs. not good.

Jan 3, 08 6:11 am  · 
 · 
aquapura

$35k, are you kidding me? I know there are plenty of threads about salary in this profession and multiple more about pay just in NYC and LA, but c'mon. Fresh grads won't accept $35k or less in places like South Dakota. I think it's time to realize that starting wages at firms of any decent size/client base is high 30's to mid-40's.

There are valid concerns with the 2:1 exchange rate diff from the UK to USA. However, lower cost of living and possible higher wages in the USA could make up for that. Probably not in the NYC or LA regions, but this is a big country, and everything I've ever read said architects get paid more here than anywhere else.

So, given the current exchange rate I'd say it's an ideal time to move. Cash in your UK pounds for $$$ and you can go a long way right now. Again, you have to be smart about the cost of living. $40k is near poverty living in NYC where it goes a long way in a place like Dallas.

Jan 4, 08 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

40K don't go far anywhere in the usa.

Jan 4, 08 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
Edp

It seems that there are some difference of opinions when it comes to salary but i guess its like that everywhere. Would it be possible to point me in the direction of some small design orientated firms that have a good reputation?

Jan 4, 08 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
n_

In NYC? Or other US cities?

Jan 4, 08 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
aquapura

Edp - Again, this is a big country. You stated you were looking at NYC or possibly LA. Search the archinect archive. There are several threads about good firms in a number of different markets. Many of them focusing on both those cities.

Jan 4, 08 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
Edp

Ok thankyou for yourhelp.. california, boston or NYC

Jan 4, 08 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

Edp
salaries are low for new arivals, but if you could make it past the first year, im sure you could move to another office for a pay raise, or earn one at the firm you start at.
as for time off
i get 5 vacation days a year... welcome to the states... the only western country with no mandated vacation days. whatever days off you get, are thanks to your boss's benevolence.
as for cities outside new york city it really depends on what you want to be.
with the accent you could be a small fish in a big pond in places like NYC, LA, or Chicago, all with a good core of firms large and small.
Or you could chose a 2nd tier city (size wise, not character wise) like Portland, Minneapolis (a personal favorite), or Boston. Those too with a good base of small firms. Dont forget there is a lot more than the coasts... both for great arch firms and quality cities

Jan 4, 08 5:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: